The Flat Tops Trail is a remarkable place to get away to and enjoy nature in Northwest Colorado. Connecting Meeker and Yampa, this 82 mile byway is suitable for mostly all cars.
The drive takes anywhere from 2.5 hours and up, depending on stops. There is some winter access for recreation like snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and snowmobiling. Summer/fall recreation includes biking, camping, fishing, hiking and hunting.
Gas up in Yampa or Meeker before you head out. There’s nothing on route. The only public restaurant on route is the Trappers Lake Lodge, open seasonally, near the middle of the drive. It’s a nice refreshment after driving on this remote byway. They also rent out cabins, and do horseback, fishing and hunting tours.
Trapper’s Lake in a minor, 6-mile detour near of the middle of the byway. Known as the “Cradle of Wilderness”, it’s a must stop. It’s the 3rd largest natural lake in Colorado. Signs mark the turn for Trappers Lake Road.
Address: Yampa to Meeker, CO
Phone: 970-638-4516 (Local US Forest Dept)
Camping: Campgrounds are located on both the Meeker and Yampa side of the byway, with the biggest cluster near Trappers Lake.
- Chapman Reservoir CG – closest to Yampa, 12 sites, basic, non-reservable
- Vaughan Lake CG – another lake on the Yampa side, 6 sites, basic, non-reservable
- Himes Peak CG – Trappers Lake Rd on Meeker side, 11 sites, basic, non-reservable
- Trappers Lake Horse Thief CG – 7 sites, basic, livestock corrals, non-reservable
- Trappers Lake Shepherds Rim CG – 15 sites, non-reservable
- Trappers Lake Cutthroat CG – 14 sites, basic, non-reservable
- Trappers Lake Trapline CG – 12 sites, basic, non-reservable
- North Fork CG – closer to Meeker, 28 sites, basic, Reservations
- East Marvin CG – near Meeker, 7 sites, basic, non-reservable
- Marvine CG – near Meeker, 24 sites, 4 are horse camping sites, non-reservable
- Dispersed camping is easy to find, not too far out of Yampa or Meeker.
Learn more about the Flat Tops Trail Scenic Byway.