Green Mountain Reservoir is a beautiful lake with lots to do, including boating, fishing, camping and hiking nearby. It stretches for several miles on Highway 9, north of Silverthorne.
Boating: Open to boating of all types, jet skis, water skis.
The Heeney Marina rents out boats on the lake. They also have snacks, drinks and ice cream. 151 County Rd 1798, Heeney, heeneymarina.com
Camping: There are several fairly primitive, national forest campgrounds around the lake. Each has vault toilets; $13/night + additional $5 for each vehicle more than two vehicles. There’s no hookups or water. Sites begin opening around May.
- Cataract Creek – 5 sites with tables, first-come, first-serve
- Prairie Point – 33 sites, first-come, first-serve
- McDonald Flats – 13 sites, first-come, first-serve
- Cow Creek North – 15 sites, first-come, first-serve
- Cow Creek South – 40 sites, reservable
- Elliot Creek – 15 sites, first-come, first-serve
- Willows – 35 sites, first-come, first-serve
Fishing: Lake is open to boat and shore fishing. In winter there’s ice fishing.
- The Blue River can be accessed below the dam for catch and release fishing; artificial flies and lures only in this section. It’s open until 8pm.
- Lower Cataract Lake is a 5 minute drive west on Co Rd 1725, which is off Heeney Rd.
- The Black Creek Reservoir is a known for largemouth bass, bluegill and rainbow trout. From Heeney Rd, take Black Creek Rd on the south end of lake.
- Master Bait & Tackle is a local bait shop/snack/liquor store on the west side of the lake. 6875 Heeney Rd
Hiking: Trails around the lake and in the wilderness west of Green Mountain Reservoir. Lower Cataract Lake has an nice 2 mile hike, relatively flat, to Cataract Falls.
OHV: There are several county roads next to the lake that permit off-highway-vehicles: Williams Peak Rd, Elliott Ridge, Brush Creek Rd.
Rafting: Rafts and kayaks use the Blue River below the dam.
Season: Year round
Map: Dillon (PDF – Large) Motor vehicle use map containing forest service roads and where dispersed camping is permitted.