Golden Gate Canyon is a giant state park with more than 12,000 acres of terrain to explore. The main attractions are camping, fishing and lots of trails for biking, hiking and horseback riding. The park is located just west of Golden in a very scenic part of the Rockies.
Biking/Horseback Riding: 19 miles of multi-use trails.
Camping/Lodging: 2 campgrounds, 132 sites, open year round, reservable from Memorial Day weekend through September.
- Campgrounds – Reverend’s Ridge has 97 sites, flush toilets, shower, laundry and dump station. 59 sites have electrical hookups. Non-electrical sites – $16/night, $18/night (May 1- Sept 30). Aspen Meadows has 35 tent sites only. Water pump, vault toilets; table, fire rings and high use tent pads.
- Cabins & Yurts – 5 cabins and 2 yurts are reservable year round. Each can house up to 6 people and are located in an aspen and pine forest. Electric and heat; $70/night + $10 fee. Pets permitted in some cabins and 1 of the yurts for $10/night . Each unit has a grill and fire ring outside.
- Backcountry Camping – 4 backcountry shelters which are built like those along the Appalachian trail with three sides, a roof and wood floor. $10/night, $12/peak. There’s also 20 backcountry tent sites open year round, no fires. $10/night, $12/peak.
- Works Ranch Cabin & Group Camping Area – Accommodating up to 30 is a group camping area and a private cabin. Reserve with park.
Fishing: Permitted in all streams and ponds except the show pond at the visitor center. The park’s ponds, Kriley, Slough, Dude’s Fishing Hole, Forgotten Valley and Ranch are regularly stocked with fish.
Hiking: There are 36 miles of trails to choose from and all are open year round. Dogs are permitted on all trails.
Hunting: Permitted during season from the Tuesday after Labor Day through the Friday prior to Memorial Day, in Green Ranch section.
Rock Climbing: Limited rock climbing in the backcountry sections.
Address: 92 Crawford Gulch Rd, Golden
Season: Year round
Pets: Yes, on leash
Fees: $7/daily, $70/annual (vehicle)
- Green Ranch Hunting
- Reverend’s Ridge Campground
- Aspen Meadows Campground
- Backcountry Camping