Rifle Falls is a true gem among the Colorado state parks, offering unmatched scenery and plenty of recreation. It’s a must visit for if you’re traveling in the area and like waterfalls and caves.
The main attraction, Rifle Falls, can be heard from the parking area. The water thumps down against Rifle Creek and continues on through the park and down to Rifle Gap State Park.
Many caves and caverns exist near the waterfalls. There is one main cave to explore and several other smaller ones. Definitely bring a flash light so you can see inside. If you’re up for it, be prepared to crawl on your hands and knees at one point. The caves are calcium-rich, so your jeans will get dusty!
Camping: Yes, open year-round. Campsites run along Rifle Creek. Woods and mountains surround the sites.
- 13 drive-in RV/tent Sites, 7 walk-in tent sites
- Basic: $16/night from Oct-Apr, $18/night from May-Sept
- Electric: $20/night from Oct-Apr, $22/night from May-Sept
- Aspen Leaf discounts Sunday-Thursday
Fishing: Rifle Falls State Hatchery is a one mile hike from the waterfalls. There’s great fishing here. Another closer option are some ponds above the ‘falls. Take Coyote Trail to the top of the waterfalls where the ponds exist upstream of the falls
Hiking: 3 main hiking trails within the park.
- Coyote Trail – is the most popular; 1.5 mile total, winds past the base of the falls and caves before looping back above the falls.
- Bobcat Trail – 1 mile, one-way, connects with the Rifle Falls State Fish Hatchery.
- Squirrel Trail – 1.5 mile, total, runs along Rifle Creek near camping.
Outside Park: Big game hunting is available in the White River National Forest adjacent to the park. Snowmobiling and cross country skiers can access trails in Rifle Mountain Park by taking the Rifle Creek Trailhead, 5 miles from Rifle Falls.
Harvey Gap State Park is also close by.
Address: 5775 Highway 325, Rifle
Season: Year round
Hours: 7am-10pm, unless fishing/camping
Fees: $7/daily, $70/annual (vehicle)
Pets: Yes, on leash
Rifle Falls Campground: Reservations