Central City is a casino town with loads of Old West history. It’s a former gold mining camp where visitors still come to cash in. The historic downtown section is remarkably well kept. The best route into town is the Central City Parkway, a scenic drive high atop a mountain pass.
Black Hawk is situated just one mile from town and has the bigger of the casinos. Central City moves at a slower pace than neighbor Black Hawk, making it more relaxed for a stroll around town.
Start your night off with a beer at Dostel Alley, the only microbrewery in town. They also serve up slots, video poker and pizza.
Casinos – Visitors have long been gambling in the buildings of Central City. Popular casinos include Century, Fortune Valley, and Johnny Z’s.
Theater – Home to one of the longest continually operating theater companies in the state, Central City Opera.
- Golden Gate Canyon State Park has 132 campsites, all beautifully laid out in a mountain forest.
- The best treks are right through the historic streets of Central City and in nearby Golden Gate Canyon.
Things To Do near Central City
- Golden Alpine Slide (22mi)
- Nevadaville (1mi)
- Indian Hot Springs (11mi)
- Golden Gate Canyon (10mi)
- Central City Opera