Colorado Springs is the second most populated city in the state, with around 420,000 people. It sits near the base of Pikes Peak, one of America’s most iconic mountains. The town is located about an hour south of Denver.
The Springs is a big city with a small town feel. It’s often rated as one of the country’s best cities to live in. The downtown area is lined with all types of shopping, dining, entertainment and history.
The city was founded in 1871 by General William Palmer, a Civil War General and a surveyor with the Kansas Pacific Railroad. He was responsible for selecting possible railroad routes south of Denver to be strategically occupied.
The stunning mountain scenery and nearby Garden of the Gods made the Pikes Peak area perfect. His intention was to create an upscale resort community along the railroad.
Air Force Academy – The giant campus is situated at the base of the Rocky Mountains and can be seen from I-70, north of town. You can take self guided tours of the academy, daily from 9am to 5pm.
Broadmoor Hotel – A sprawling, five star hotel with numerous first-class restaurants, golf courses and spas. It’s centered around Cheyenne Lake. It originally opened in 1891 as a gambling casino and was transformed into a world-class hotel & resort in 1918.
Olympic Training Center – Home to current Olympians, the campus is able to provide housing, dining and training facilities for more than 500 athletes and coaches. The 35 acre complex is located within minutes from downtown. Guided tours are available year round.
- Cheyenne Mountain offers 51 full hook-up RV sites and 10 walk-in tent sites. It’s open year round.
- Multi-use trails at Cheyenne Mountain State Park are open to hiking and biking, but no pets.
- Garden of the Gods has designated trails through the forest and jagged sand stones.
- Read our five favorite hikes in Colorado Springs.
Things To Do near Colorado Springs
- Cripple Creek (45mi)
- Air Force Academy
- Olympic Training Center
- Dinosaur Resource Center (19mi)
- Ghost Town (3mi)
- Manitou Cliff Dwellings (6mi)
- Miramont Castle (7mi)
- Peterson Air & Space Museum (8mi)
- Western Museum of Mining
- Flying W Ranch (7mi)
- Pikes Peak Cog Railway (7mi)
- Pikes Peak Highway (14mi)
- Cheyenne Mountain (8mi)
- Cañon City (46mi)
- Castle Rock (40mi)
- Cripple Creek (45mi)
- Denver (68mi)
- Manitou Springs (6mi)
- Old Colorado City (2mi)
- Pueblo (43mi)
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (5mi)