Museum of Colorado Prisons is housed in a former Women’s Correction Facility, constructed in 1935. There’s memorabilia from the women’s prison in addition to other Colorado prisons.
Tours 32 cells filled with varying exhibits and life sized models. Self guided mp3 audio tours guide you through the museum.
Each cell houses a different exhibit on prison life.The basement also houses several rooms and a few exhibits are outside. There is a gift shop with a nice book collection, inmate made items and t-shirts.
Some of the exhibits at the Museum of Colorado Prisons include:
- Hangman’s noose used for last execution by hanging in CO
- Confiscated weapons and contraband
- Last gas chamber
- Rare, historic photographs about life in prison
- Disciplinary paraphernalia used from 1871 to present
- Federal Bureau of Prisons display
- Inmate Arts & Crafts
- Many original items and stories
Address: 201 North 1st St, Cañon City, CO
Season: Year round
Latest in Museum of Colorado Prisons
7 Haunted Places In Colorado for Ghost Sightings
Haunted places are located all around the world and Colorado is no exception. With a long…