Cañon City is an epic whitewater town known for Arkansas River rafting and the Royal Gorge. The Arkansas River cuts through the famous gorge just west of downtown.
Being a tourist town there’s plenty to choose from for food. Stop by Royal Gorge Brewing in downtown for awesome food and atmosphere.
Arkansas River – World class whitewater rafting exist minutes from town and there are a number of outfits to choose from. Arkansas River Rafting is available from June thru September, weather and water levels pending. Fishing on the river is also top notch. The headwaters of the river begin around Leadville, flowing south to Buena Vista, then Salida, and east to Cañon City and onto Pueblo and the Great Plains.
Royal Gorge – The world’s highest suspension bridge hovers 1,053 feet over the Royal Gorge. There are a number of rides and attractions at the park in addition to the bridge including a cliff walk, aerial tram, incline railway, and Royal Rush Skycoaster.
- Arkansas Headwaters State Park has several campgrounds between Salida and Canon City. Take Highway 50 west of town. Signs mark the sections for the state park.
- Royal Gorge Bridge & Park has public land open for camping. Camping is permitted in established campgrounds only. Sites include a table and fire pit, and there are bathrooms and bear-proof trash bins around.
- Read about the camping near Cañon City and the Royal Gorge.
- Take Highway 50 west of town and fish along the Arkansas River.
- Walk along the Arkansas River right in the town of Canon City.
- Head southwest to the San Isabel National Forest for a number of awesome hiking trails, like Tanner Trail pictured above.
Hotels and lodging:
- Read about the best hotels in Cañon City.
May – Cañon City Music & Blossom Festival – Weekend music festival kicking off the start of summer in Canon City held at the beginning of May.
May – Royal Gorge Rodeo – Part of the above Music & Blossom Festival in early May, the Royal Gorge Rodeo is Colorado’s oldest continually running rodeo, held over two days.
Activities near Cañon City
State Wildlife Areas:
- Coaldale (38mi)
- Colorado Springs (46mi)
- Cotopaxi (33mi)
- Cripple Creek (49mi)
- Guffey (32mi)
- Hartsel (57mi)
- Hillside (37mi)
- Pueblo (40mi)
- Poncha Springs (62mi)
- Salida (58mi)
- Texas Creek (26mi)
- Walsenburg (87mi)
Latest in Cañon City
Resting in the shadows of Pikes Peak, the Southern Rockies most popular mountain peak, Colorado Springs…
From utility to tourist attraction, Colorado’s railroad system has seen its share of twists and turns…
The Rocky Mountains are well known for the epic whitewater rivers they produce, and Colorado boasts…
Bridges have been the cornerstone of landscape architecture since the Roman times, so it’s no surprise…
Cañon City is abuzz in the summer for river recreation, notable whitewater rafting the Arkansas River.…