Penrose is a quaint rural community located about twelve miles east of Cañon City. There are a few shops and restaurants in town, as well as a hot springs resort and plenty of outdoor recreation.
It’s situated at an elevation of 5,338 feet in the Arkansas River Valley within Fremont County. The 2020 population was 3,185. There is enough to do in town to keep you busy, but it still remains a peaceful retreat within a friendly community.
Beaver Creek SWA – Situated north of town on Highway 115. It’s open to those with a valid hunting or fishing license and covers over 2,000 acres of a variety of beautiful landscapes to explore.
Dakota Hot Springs – Dakota is a clothing-optional hot springs resort, featuring one 70-foot pool and one six-foot pool for guests to soak. There are clear views of the Front Range mountains and places to camp for the night if you want to extend your stay.
- Take CO-127 north through town and you’ll reach the Penrose Commons OHV area. While it is intended as a park for OHVs, it also has plenty of dispersed camping spots and a few for RVs. Be sure you have a 4WD vehicle though because the roads are rough.
- Indian Springs Ranch Campground has sites for RVs and tents with electrical hookups. Sewer and water services are also available.
- Read about the camping near Cañon City and the Royal Gorge.
- Brush Hollow Reservoir is an SWA with a reservoir that is nice for trout fishing.
- Pathfinder Regional Park is a short drive south of town and offers a community pond that is great for shoreline fishing.
- Just across US-50, you’ll find Florence River Park along the Arkansas River. It has plenty of shade to cool off, picnic areas, and fishing from the shore.
- Bighorn Trail is great for beginners or anyone who just wants to stretch their legs. It is about 20 minutes from Penrose, near Rockvale, and totals just over a mile out and back.
- Arkansas Riverwalk trail runs through Cañon City and offers 7 miles of winding trail along the babbling Arkansas River. Dogs are allowed as long as they’re leashed, and there is even a section for horseback riding.
Skydiving – This area is home to some of the few places in the state to skydive. You can tandem jump, get your AFF license, or free-fall on your own if you are trained to do so at Colorado Mountain Skydiving or High Sky Adventures.
While there are no hotels in Penrose, check out these nearby options in Cañon City.
Coyote’s Coffee Den – Way more than just a coffee shop, this full-service restaurant also has amazing dishes for every meal of the day and a beautiful outdoor seating area.
The LZ – A local favorite bar with a large selection of pub fare to choose from while you enjoy a drink.
Penrose Pizzeria and Pub – Cozy eatery with friendly staff and delicious Neapolitan-style pizzas.
Apr – Easter Celebration and Egg Hunt – No better way to celebrate the holiday than with a family friendly party and egg hunt in the park. The fire department will be there for touch-a-truck, Easter Bunny photo ops, and other kids activities.
Jul – Independence Day Celebration – A full day of community fun in Penrose Park before a small fireworks display to round off the night.
Sep – Apple Day – One-day festival set up along the main street of town. There will be a parade, kid’s activities, free apple pie, and more to enjoy.
Activities near Penrose
- Skagway Power Plant (39mi)
- Royal Gorge Route Railroad (12mi)
State Wildlife Areas:
- Cañon City (12mi)
- Colorado Springs (33mi)
- Florence (6mi)
- Fort Carson (28mi)
- Manitou Springs (39mi)
- Pueblo (28mi)
- Silver Cliff (42mi)
- Westcliffe (43mi)
- Wetmore (17mi)
- Arkansas River (12mi)