Pueblo is known as the “Steel City” because it has long been and still is one of the leading steel producers in the U.S. It’s also Colorado’s seventh most populated city, with about 107,000 residents.
The city is situated on the southern front range, about an hour south of Colorado Springs. It’s a little more east of the mountains than Colorado Springs. There is a lot to do in and around this gateway city to Southern Colorado. Enjoy activities from camping and boating at Lake Pueblo to fishing and kayaking the Arkansas River.
Lake Pueblo – This is a large state park with year-round recreation of all types offered. It’s centered around a giant reservoir, which is popular for its boating and fishing.
Pueblo Riverwalk – It’s a gorgeous paved walkway following the Arkansas River through town, open to bicycles as well. The one-mile-long path is located in downtown Pueblo, offering plenty of chances to dine, shop, and admire the artwork.
- Read about the top things to do in Pueblo.
- Lake Pueblo State Park has numerous RV and tent campsites.
- Read about camping near Pueblo and Pueblo Reservoir.
- Arkansas River west of town provides excellent trout fishing.
- Lake Pueblo is open to fishing and boating.
- Read about the lakes and rivers to fish near Pueblo.
- Take a stroll on the beautiful mile-long Pueblo Riverwalk right in the heart of town. It follows the Arkansas River and passes by more than 50 pieces of outdoor art.
- Read about the hiking trails near Pueblo.
Hotels and lodging:
- Read about the best hotels in Pueblo.
Aug/Sep – Colorado State Fair & Rodeo – One of Colorado’s largest festivals, held over ten days in late August to early September.
Sep – Chile & Frijoles Festival – Three-day festival held over Labor Day weekend surrounding chile peppers, and the regional specialty Mira Sol Chile.
Activities near Pueblo
- Mesa Drive-In (4mi)
State Wildlife Areas:
- Avondale (6mi)
- Boone (22mi)
- Cañon City (41mi)
- Coaldale (77mi)
- Colorado City (25mi)
- Colorado Springs (44mi)
- Cotopaxi (72mi)
- Florence (35mi)
- Fountain (33mi)
- Fowler (35mi)
- Hillside (68mi)
- La Junta (67mi)
- La Veta (65mi)
- Penrose (30mi)
- Pueblo West (14mi)
- Rocky Ford (52mi)
- Salt Creek (2mi)
- Silver Cliff (55mi)
- Texas Creek (68mi)
- Walsenburg (49mi)
- Westcliffe (56mi)
Latest in Pueblo
Colorado has experienced its fair share of devastating natural and manmade events over the years. Some…
View more Pueblo articles