Situated just south of Pueblo on I-25, Colorado City has a small historic district to explore and a few restaurants. Most tourists come to town for the area’s stellar outdoor recreation in the surrounding San Isabel National Forest or nearby Lake Pueblo.
Greenhorn Mountain is also a popular stop, towering over 12,000 feet in height, and 7,000 feet above town. Colorado City sits at 5,925 feet of elevation in Pueblo County and as of 2020 had a population of 2,200.
Frontier Pathways – Colorado City sits at the southern start of this 103-mile byway, which retraces the early routes of the area’s explorers. It T-bones north at CO-96, where you can continue either east or west on the byway to Pueblo or Westcliffe, respectively.
Read about the top things to do in Colorado City.
- Greenhorn Meadows Park has a loop of campsites with electrical hookups, bathrooms, and even a small hike to a hidden cave. Visitors say it’s a very peaceful spot to set up camp, but be aware there is limited cell service.
- Pueblo South/Colorado City KOA is located off I-25 and offers RV spots, special “Big Rig” accommodations, camping cabins, and tent sites. There is a mini-golf course, a pool, WiFi, and a hot tub for guests to use.
- Read about camping near Pueblo and the Reservoir.
- Read about the camping near Westcliffe and Rye, around the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
Fishing – A 30-minute drive up I-25 will lead you to Lake Pueblo, a 4,600 acre lake with great fishing. They allow motorized boating or shore fishing from over 60 miles of shoreline.
- Greenhorn Mountain is a popular trail in the area, totaling a moderate 6.1 miles. It brings you to the top of Greenhorn Mountain for great views of the surrounding forest and town.
- 20 minutes west on CO-165 leads to Lake Isabel and many hiking trails within the San Isabel National Forest.
This section contains referral links. If you click through and take action, we may receive a commission, at no additional cost to you.
Days Inn by Wyndham Colorado City – Typical small-town accommodation with comfortable rooms, free WiFi, and a continental breakfast.
Read more about this top hotel in Colorado City.
Consider Pueblo’s top hotels, located about 25 minutes north on I-25, or Walsenburg’s best hotels found 25 minutes south.
The Valley Grind – Friendly, locally owned shop with a good selection of coffee drinks and freshly baked snacks.
T&D Tacos – Authentic taco stand serving up all the classics like burritos, nachos, and quesadillas. They are also able to accommodate dietary restrictions.
Round Table Sports Grill – The atmosphere at this sports bar is very welcoming, and the food will make you want to come back for more. Their menu features classic American dishes and fried starters.
Activities near Colorado City
- Bishop’s Castle (21mi)
- Lathrop State Park (28mi)
- Lake Pueblo State Park (30mi)
- Aguilar (42mi)
- Colorado Springs (69mi)
- Cuchara (52mi)
- Farist (22mi)
- Fountain (57mi)
- Greenwood (42mi)
- La Veta (41mi)
- Ludlow (48mi)
- Pueblo (26mi)
- Rye (6mi)
- Trinidad (61mi)
- Walsenburg (25mi)
- Wetmore (53mi)
- Mission: Wolf (39mi)
Latest in Colorado City
Camping near Pueblo and its Reservoir
The southern front range offers its share of Colorado gems, and Pueblo makes a great base…
1 Best Hotel in Colorado City, CO
Tucked away a few miles off I-25 between Pueblo and Walsenburg, Colorado City is a quiet…
Top things to do in Colorado City, CO
A popular stop along the Frontier Pathway Scenic Byway, Colorado City lies just south of Pueblo…