Fort Carson is a 137,000-acre United States Army installation and census-designated place (CDP). It’s located 8 miles south of downtown Colorado Springs.
The Best Hometown in the Army!
There are the following divisions of the U.S. armed forces housed at Fort Carson:
- 4th Infantry Division
- 10th Special Forces Group
- 4th Security Force Assistance Brigade (SFAB)
- 440th Civil Affairs Battalion (USAR)
- 71st Ordnance Group (EOD)
- 4th Engineer Battalion
- 759th Military Police Battalion
- 10th Combat Support Hospital
- 43rd Sustainment Brigade
- Army Field Support Battalion-Fort Carson
- 423rd Transportation Company (USAR)
- 13th Air Support Operations Squadron of the United States Air Force
- Army Reserve
- Navy Reserve
- Colorado Army National Guard
The town was founded as Camp Carson in 1942 after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. The land had been purchased and donated to the War Department by the City of Colorado Springs. It was named after a famous Army scout, General Christopher “Kit” Carson. In the 1800s he explored a lot of the American West.
In 1954 Camp Carson was designated as Fort Carson. There have been nine divisions of the US armed forces calling it home throughout Fort Carson’s history.
Activities near Fort Carson
View the town’s official website.