Royal Gorge Route Railroad offers a number of specialty trips throughout most of the year. It travels through the infamous Gorge near Cañon City.
Railroad building began in the 1870s as a way to access mining riches in Leadville. Two railroad companies fought for the right to built their tracks in the narrow canyon: the Denver & Rio Grande and the Santa Fe. They often fought with each other, building stone forts in the Gorge.
In 1880, the Treaty of Boston was signed, giving rights to D&RG. They operated passenger train service until 1967. In 1999 the tracks were bought from Union Pacific and reopened to the public.
Departs: Cañon City
Trip: 2 hours; 24 miles.
Classes of Service:
- Coach – Comfortable seats, full access to open-air car, concessions and bar car for food and beverage.
- Vista Dome – A glass-topped dome offers impeccable views of the Royal Gorge Canyon. Breakfast, lunch and a full bar are available.
- Lunch Train – 3 course lunch.
- Dinner Train – 3 course dinner; choice of prime rib, fresh salmon, roasted chicken or vegetarian fare.
- Sunshine Falls Bar Car – Full-service bar, breakfast and lunch available.
- Santa Express Train – Christmas theme
- Murder Mystery – Enjoy delicious food, unreal scenery and a classic “who dunnit” murder mystery. Trips run late May to late October on select days.
Special Events: Easter Bunny Special, Mother’s Day Brunch, Father’s Day, Oktoberfest, Trick or Treat Train, Santa Express Train, New Year’s Eve Dinner Train.
Address: 401 Water St, Cañon City
Season: early March-early January, on select days and times