Colorado’s capital and largest city, Denver, is one of the America’s fastest growing cities. It’s nicknamed the “Mile High City” because its official elevation is exactly one mile above sea level (5,280 ft).
The population is around 600,000, making in the second largest city in the Mountain West behind Phoenix, AZ. It’s the nation’s third highest in elevation behind Santa Fe, NM and Laramie, WY. The tallest building is the Republic Plaza, which is 56 stories and 714 feet high. Colfax Avenue, the longest continuous commercial street in the United Sates, runs through downtown.
One of the town’s best features is it’s close proximity to major attractions, including over two hundred parks in Denver County alone. The town is headquarters for numerous Colorado made products, including Hammond’s Candies and Never Summer snowboards.
The city was founded at the start of the Pikes Peak Gold Rush in 1858. In its early years, Denver was destroyed once by fire and once by flood, despite being warned by Native Americans to not build there due to flooding.
Main AttractionsDowntown Denver – Visit the Capitol and stand a mile high on probably the 15th step (the 11th step is marked as a mile high, but it was found to be incorrect and thought to be a few higher). Then take the free 16th Street Bus, which stops at nearly every block and is a quick way to get across downtown. At the end of the line is Union Station and LoDo, or Lower Downtown, the town’s hip bar scene.
Professional Sports – All major leagues can be found in this sports city. Teams compete at the top level in baseball, basketball, football, hockey, lacrosse, rugby and soccer.
- Nearby Cherry Creek and Chatfield state parks offer well-maintained sites open year round for a fee.
- The South Platte River is a decent option for fishing in the heart of the city.
- Chatfield and Cherry Creek state parks offer lake fishing and boating.
- Clear Creek runs down the Rockies and through Golden. Good fishing exists just west on Highway 6 from Golden.
- Head down to Confluence Park and hike along the Cherry Creek Canal trail for a unique view of the city.
- Local city and state parks offer a variety of trails. Read our favorite 8 city parks.
- Green Mountain is located in Lakewood and offers a number of trails spread out across several rolling hills. The views of the Front Range are incredible from the top.
National Western Stock Show – Sixteen day festival held in January every year. Read our feature on the National Western Stock Show.
Things to do near Denver
- Coors Brewery (16mi)
- Berkeley Park
- Central Park
- Cheesman Park
- City Park
- Civic Center Park
- Confluence Park
- Sloan’s Lake
- Washington Park
- Indian (32mi)
- Clear Creek Tubing (15mi)
- Bandimere Speedway (16mi)
- Colorado National Speedway (25mi)
- Colorado Avalanche
- Colorado Mammoth
- Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rockies
- Denver Barbarians
- Denver Broncos
- Denver Nuggets
- Denver Outlaws
- Barr Lake (21mi)
- Castlewood Canyon (37mi)
- Cherry Creek (16mi)
- Chatfield (23mi)
- Golden Gate Canyon (30mi)
- Roxborough (27mi)
- Staunton (38mi)
- Clear Creek Rafting (15mi)
Search discounted activities in Denver via Groupon!
Read all our blog posts tagged Denver.