With world class venues like the Pepsi Center, Coors Field and Mile High Stadium, Denver is a mecca for pro sports. There are eight professional teams, combined with several D1 college programs and various other sports across the state. Read our sports teams blog.
Professional Sports Teams in Colorado
The Mile High City competes in exciting pro sporting events year round. Sports fans can enjoy baseball, basketball, football, hockey, lacrosse, rugby, and soccer. The Denver Broncos won the Super Bowl in 1998, 1999 and 2000.
NCAA College Sports in Colorado
Colorado’s two big state schools, CU and CSU compete in a number of intercollegiate athletics. The top match between the two schools is the Rocky Mountain Showdown, an annual football game held at the beginning of the season.
- Address: Fort Collins
- About: The Rams compete in the Mountain West Conference against teams like Air Force, San Diego State and UNLV.
- Address: Boulder
- About: The Buffs compete in the Pac-12 against the Utah, Cal, UCLA, USC, and others.
- Address: Denver
- About: The Pioneers play in the WAC, against schools like New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, Idaho and Utah State. Their hockey team has won 7 NCAA Men’s Hockey Champsionships, the second most, behind U of Michigan, at 9.
Roller Derby in Colorado
Colorado has several women’s roller derby teams and leagues. Games are played around the state, and vary in size and frequency depending on the league.
- 10th Mountain Roller Dolls – Edwards
- 4 Corners Girls – Cortez
- Ark Valley High Rollers – Poncha Springs
- Boulder Bombers – Longmont
- Castle Rock ‘n’ Rollers – Castle Rock
- Denver Roller Dolls – Denver
- Durango Roller Girls – Durango
- Foco Girls Gone Derby – Fort Collins
- High City Derby Divas – Aurora
- Pikes Peak Derby Dames – Colorado Springs
- Rocky Mountain Rollergirls – Denver
- Slaughterhouse Derby Girls – Greeley
- Southside Derby Dames – Lakewood
Guide to Pro Sports Teams in Colorado
Colorado is home to a lot of active people, whom love to watch and participate in sports. All types of sporting events can be found here on every level, whether professional, college, amateur or recreational.
Pro sports: Denver features teams in all the major pro sports, including baseball, basketball, football, hockey, lacrosse, rugby and soccer. Even the biggest sports fan will be happy in a state like Colorado.
Next summer evening, attend a Colorado Rapids soccer game out at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park for a fun night in the cool Commerce City breeze. Although the Nuggets and Avalanche are known for rocking the Pepsi Center, be sure to attend a Colorado Mammoth lacrosse game for a surprisingly thrilling time at Pepsi Center.
College sports: In addition to pro sports, Denver boasts D1 college programs at University of Colorado Boulder (CU), Colorado State University (CSU) and University of Denver (DU). The annual Rocky Mountain Showdown squares the CU Buffs and CSU Rams for its yearly bragging rights and Centennial Trophy. CU leads the football series.
Roller derby: This lesser-known sport is one for the ladies, although men enjoy watching too. Ladies race around an indoor track, racking up points in this rough roller skating competition. Teams and games can be found across the state.
Support your local team and be entertained by attending a game this season. Sports are easy to find in Colorado.
Balancing Sport and Study as a Colorado Student Athlete – Being an athlete is a time consuming task full of training and preparing. Being a student is also a time consuming task. So, what can a student athlete do to balance their busy schedules without sacrificing…
Explore These 5 Colorado Halls Of Fame – The hall of fame is a uniquely American creation. Other cultures have honored their famous artists and statesmen in museums. But it was the Americans, steeped in democratic tradition, who began voting on fame…
Experience a truly western form of entertainment. Rodeos have a variety of events from bull riding to tie-down roping. Local speedways host a variety of events, from stock car racing to monster truck shows.