Hunting exists all over the state, with opportunities for deer, duck, elk, moose and more, depending on season and tags. Experience the rugged beauty of the land as you’re on your quest.
Where to Hunt in Colorado
With a valid hunting or fishing license, you can access more than 348 state wildlife areas. There’s also numerous state parks, national forests and BLM land.
- Barr Lake – Brighton; waterfowl hunting starting late September.
- Boyd Lake – Loveland; waterfowl hunting.
- Crawford – Crawford; waterfall and big game hunting.
- Colorado River – Grand Junction; waterfowl blinds.
- Harvey Gap – Rifle; waterfowl hunting.
- Highline Lake – Rifle; seven waterfowl blinds.
- Navajo – Arboles; deer, elk and bird hunting.
- Ridgway – Ridgway; big and small game hunting.
- San Luis – Mosca; big game, small game and waterfowl.
- Steamboat Lake – Clark; hunting permitted after Labor Day with license.
- Sweitzer Lake – Delta; shotgun hunting is allowed, waterfowl only on weekends.
- Trinidad Lake – Trinidad; Labor Day to Memorial Day.
- Vega – Collbran; only archery or shotgun loaded with bird-shot permitted.
State Wildlife Areas
- Prewitt Reservoir – Merino; Northeast Colorado lake with fishing, hunting and camping. Waterfowl, Pheasant, Bobwhite Quail, Deer.
Hunting Guides in Colorado
Both single day and multi-day guided hunts are available across the state. Experienced guides are a sure-fire way to up your chances of bagging that trophy!
Ripple Creek Lodge – Guided elk and deer hunts, fishing trips, log cabin rentals, horseback riding. Located on the Flat Tops Scenic Byway in Meeker.
Trappers Lake Lodge & Resort – Trappers Lake Lodge is located on the Flat Tops Byway in Meeker. It’s open from late May through October. They offer hunting and fishing trips, both day and overnight, as well a horse and cabin rentals. There is also a restaurant with a bar.
Please contact us to add a guided hunting trip.
Guide to Hunting in Colorado
People from all over the world venture to Colorado to hunt big game. There are three main seasons depending on your firearm. Archery is first, then muzzleloading (draw only), lastly rifle.
Colorado Parks & Wildlife – Official resource for hunting in Colorado. Find season dates & fees, get your license online and learn about hunting.
- Plan Your Hunt – Resources for planning your trip.
- Colorado Hunting Atlas – Find game management units (GMU’s), campgrounds, and Parks & Wildlife offices.
Featured hunting articles:
How to Hunt Elk in Colorado – Elk are one of the most sought after big game animals you’ll be able to find in the United States, and more than one person has taken a trek to Colorado to see how they can fare. If you’re planning on gearing up and heading out…
Adventure Year Round to a 10th Mountain Backcountry Hut – Plan your next mountain adventure with the 10th Mountain Division Hut Association. Choose from 34 backcountry huts connected by over 350 miles of trails accessible to hikers, mountain bikers, skiers and snowshoers…
Some hunting related activities
Camping and fishing can be found throughout the state on state and federal lands. National forests and wildlife refuges permit hunting in places.