Steamboat Lake is a real gem, situated just west of Hahn’s Peak. It’s situated at 8100′ above sea level, surrounded by alpine wilderness, including views of the Continental Divide. The lake is rarely crowded and open for boating May 1st through November 1st each year.
Biking: 7+ miles of trails; additional biking in nearby Routt National Forest.
Birding: Sandhill Cranes every spring, Bald Eagles.
Boating: 1,053 acre reservoir open May 1 through November 1 each year.
- Approximately half the lake is open to wake boating, jet skiing, water skiing.
Camping: Yes, open year round, 188 campsites open in summer, 14 electrical sites in winter. Reservations recommended May 25-Sept 11, especially weekends, holidays.
- Electrical Site – $22/night (May through Sept), otherwise $20/night.
- Basic Site – $18/night (May through Sept), otherwise $16/night.
- Camper Cabins – $80/night, year round, run by Steamboat Lake Marina
Fishing: Bait. lure and fly fishing.
Geocaching: Geocache coordinates – N 40° 48.748 W 106° 57.658
Hiking: 3 trails in park,
- Tombstone Nature Trail (1.1mi) – A fun, quick loop just below the Visitor Center.
- Willow Creek Trail – Connects the Marina and Sage Flats.
- Poverty Bar Trail – Connects Willow Creek Trail with FS 409.
Horseback Riding: Available on undeveloped ares of the park near the southeast corner of the lake.
Hunting: Allowed during all legal seasons after Labor Day, with proper license. Permitted from the Rainbow Ridge day use area to the Meadow point area. Hunters must be 100 yards from any Park facility.
OHV: Registrations available at Visitor Center; OHV’s are not allowed in park, however, hundreds of miles of trails exist just outside the park.
Swimming: Located at the Dutch Hill area, water temperatures reach low 70s F in late summer. No lifeguard on duty, no pets on swim beach.
- Cross-country skiing – Groomed trails.
- Ice Fishing – Available winter when conditions permit.
- Snowmobiling – 12 miles of groomed trail; additional 146 miles of groomed trail in nearby Routt Nat’l Forest. Also off-trail riding available in park and national forest. Registration at visitor center.
- Snowshoeing – Miles of groomed trails.
Address: 61105 County Rd 129, Clark
Season: Year round
Hours (Visitor Center): Daily 8am-4pm
Fees: $7/day, $70/year (vehicle)
Pets: Yes, on leash
Map: Steamboat Lake Brochure (PDF)