Hahns Peak is a tiny, former mining village north of Steamboat Springs. Combined with Clark just to the south, the area has a few restaurants, two general stores, and several lodging options. It sits at the foot of Hahns Peak, an extinct volcano, and across from Steamboat Lake.
The town began as a mining camp around 1865. It boomed in 1876, garnering it the first post office in Routt County, as well a stint as the county seat. Hahns Peak Historical Society preserves 15 of the town’s earliest buildings including a schoolhouse and historic cabin. There is also a museum.
State Parks – Both Peal Lake and Steamboat Lake state parks are popular year-round for recreation.
Routt National Forest – Hahns Peak Lake is among numerous sections of the national forest near Hahns Peak.
Hahns Peak Lake – This is a little more secluded than Steamboat Lake, but not nearly as big. It’s easy to get to with a minimal fee for parking your vehicle. It’s run by the Routt National Forest.
Year-round recreation is readily available, with 2 state parks and Routt National Forest all close by. Water sports, groomed cross-country skiing, snowmobile, horseback riding, ATV, hunting, and hiking.
- Steamboat and Pearl Lake state parks have 188 and 36 sites respectively.
- Free dispersed car camping can be found in Routt National Forest.
- Hahns Peak Lake Recreation Area has a campground.
- Read about the camping near Steamboat Springs, Clark and Oak Creek.
- The three larger lakes in the area, Hahns Peak Lake, Pearl Lake, and Steamboat Lake allow fishing for a day-use fee.
- Wooden Ski Rendezvous – February
- Coureur des Bois Cross Country Ski Marathon – March
- North Routt Chili Cook Off – May
- 4th of July Ice Cream Special – July
- Summer Arts & Crafts Fair – August
- Pre-Thanksgiving Community Dinner – November
Activities near Hahns Peak
- Steamboat Lake Outpost (8mi)
- Pearl Lake State Park (3mi)
- Steamboat Lake State Park (1mi)
- Clark (6mi)
- Steamboat Springs (25mi)
Latest in Hahns Peak
Camping near Steamboat Springs, Oak Creek and Clark
Whether you’re coming for the dazzling natural beauty or a soak in the local hot springs,…
Camping near Steamboat Springs, Oak Creek and ClarkRead More