“Land of Many Uses”, Routt National Forest is comprised of nearly 2.9 million acres in Northwest Colorado. The most visited areas of the forest are around Steamboat Springs. Camping and hiking are prevalent in the endless forests of northwest Colorado. The Routt National Forest goes all the way to the Wyoming border.
These are just a few of the things to do in Routt National Forest:
Buffalo Pass: Known locally as Buffs Pass, this dirt road connects Steamboat with Walden. In the summer, 2WD cars can access numerous primitive camping sites on the front side of the pass just out of Steamboat. The pass closes due to snow in the winter, but it’s still accessed for snowshoeing, snowmobiling, and backcountry skiing.
Fish Creek Falls: A series of nature trails lead to a remarkable waterfall. It’s open year-round, with snowshoeing and ice climbing common in winter.
Hahns Peak Lake: More secluded and smaller than neighbor Steamboat Lake, Hahns Peak Lake is located north of Steamboat in Clark. Hahns Peak Lake Campground is $10 a day. Free primitive camping can be found in the surrounding Routt N.F.
Rabbit Ears Pass: Named for the rabbit-ear-shaped buttes visible from the top of the pass. Year-round people use the pass for its great system of biking, hiking, and 4×4 trails. Primitive campsites and campgrounds are easy to find. In the winter, it’s a wonderland for snowmobiles, with lots of deep, dry snow.
Activities: Biking, Boating, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Hunting, Picnicking, OHV, Scenic Drives, Cross Country Skiing, Snowmobiling, Snowshoeing
- Read about the camping near Kremmling, Parshall, and Hot Sulphur Springs.
- Read about the camping near Walden and Gould.
- Read about the camping near Steamboat Springs, Clark, and Oak Creek.
- Read about the camping near Yampa and Flat Tops.
Maps: Routt N.F. (PNG)
Motor Vehicle Use Maps:
- Hahns Peak – Bear Ears (PDF) – Hahns Peak, Clark, Steamboat Springs
- Hahns Peak – Bear Ears Inset (PDF) – Hahns Peak
- Parks (PDF) – Clark, Steamboat Springs, Walden
- Parks Inset (PDF) – Steamboat Springs
- Yampa (PDF) – Steamboat Springs, Oak Creek, Yampa
Routt Campgrounds: Reservations
Latest in Routt National Forest
The vast mountain landscapes surrounding Steamboat Springs are beautiful, inspiring, and chock full of incredible hikes.…