Evergreen is one of the closest mountain towns to the capital. Naturally, many locals commute to work to the Denver Metro. The historic section of Evergreen has a charming strip of small shops and restaurants.
Beau Jo’s offers Colorado style pizza, noted for it’s fat crust and whole milk mozzarella. If you’re in a hurry, go to Da Kind Soups for their extensive selection of made-from-scratch soups, as well as sandwiches. One World Cafe is a good choice for local, healthy and tasty food. Vietnamese, Thai and Chinese cuisine is served at the Saigon Landing. Tin Star Smokehouse is a discreet BBQ cafe on the boardwalk in town.
For beers go to Cactus Jack’s Saloon, a laid-back biker bar with regular live music and good burgers. Or head to Little Bear Saloon, an Old West bar with live entertainment six days a week. Try Creekside Cellars, for house made wine.
Evergreen Lake – A large lake situated in downtown Evergreen. It’s popular year round for recreation including wake-less boating in the summer and ice skating in the winter. Evergreen Lake House rents canoes, paddle boats, kayaks, sailboats and fishing boats from early May to mid September.
- Echo Lake has an eighteen site campground, with spots for RV’s and tents only. From downtown, take CO 74 north to Squaw Pass Rd. Follow for seventeen miles to campground.
- Golden Gate Canyon State Park has several nice campgrounds, about 45 minutes away.
- Evergreen Lake, in the heart of Evergreen, offers fishing year round.
- Echo Lake is a windy, scenic 20 mile drive from Evergreen. It’s stocked annually with trout. In the summer you can continue a scenic drive up Mt Evans Byway, which closes in late Sept/early Oct and reopens in late May. Summit Lake, further up the byway, freezes over too long to keep trout.
- Some of the area’s best hiking is right in town. There is a paved trail that follows Bear Creek from downtown up past Evergreen Lake.
Winter Festival at Evergreen Lake – Held in February, events include a ski and snowboard rail jam competition, an ice bike race, an ice fishing derby, ice skating, family activities, a beer garden, “The Village” and nighttime fireworks.
- Nevadaville (25mi)
- Red Rocks Amphitheater (10mi)
- Buffalo Herd Overlook (10mi)