Kittredge is a tiny Colorado community nestled within Bear Creek Canyon. It’s located between Evergreen and Morrison on CO 74, surrounded by plenty of Denver Mountain Parks to explore. There’s not much in town but a post office, two general stores, and a couple of restaurants.
Don’t let its small size fool you though. If you’re looking for an outdoor getaway close to Denver, look no further than this Jefferson County community. It sits at an elevation of 7,073 feet and in 2020 recorded a population of 1,308.
Lair o’ the Bear Park – One of the most popular Jefferson County Open Spaces, Lair o’ the Bear covers 394 acres with almost 5 miles of designated trails. Visitors love the easy access to Bear Creek for a nice day of fishing and the plentiful picnic areas as well.
Corwina Park – Home to the popular Panorama Point trail, this Denver Mountain Park is a peaceful retreat into a mountainous conifer forest. There is a picnic and BBQ area at the entrance, you can then continue on to the 2.4 mile roundtrip trek to gorgeous sweeping views of the surrounding mountains.
- Bear Creek Lake, at the junction of 470 and 285 in Lakewood, has a 47-site campground open from April through October. There are hookup options and shower facilities on-site. Additionally, the park offers yurt and cabin rentals if you prefer a solid roof over your head for the night.
- Echo Lake Park is twenty-five miles from Kittredge. Take CO 74 to Squaw Pass Road in Evergreen and follow for 17 miles. There are 14 developed campsites with access to a swimming area, running water, and disposal containers. 3 dispersed sites are also available on a first-come, first-served basis
Fishing – Evergreen Lake is nearby and requires a valid fishing license. The lake is regularly stocked with rainbow trout and it can be fished daily from sunrise to sunset. Ice fishing is also available in the winter as conditions permit.
- Panorama Point is a moderately difficult trail totaling 2.4 miles round trip with some elevation gain. This is a popular trek, so arrive early on weekends and holidays.
- Alderfer / Three Sisters Park is a short drive east to Evergreen. There are over 16 miles of interconnected trails throughout the park to explore, ranging from easy to moderate in difficulty level.
This section contains referral links. If you click through and take action, we may receive a commission, at no additional cost to you.
Colorado Bear Creek Cabins – These creekside cabins offer a cozy alternative to nearby hotels. Enjoy one of the 10 private log cabins each with its own fireplace, full kitchen, and outdoor sitting area. The property is conveniently located near many restaurants, breweries, and retail shops to keep you busy.
Check out more lodging in nearby Evergreen.
Blackbird Cafe – Friendly staff and a hearty brunch menu make this a can’t-miss stop in Kittredge. They even have a vegan menu if you have dietary restrictions.
Black Hat Cattle Co – Voted one of the best steakhouses in the Denver area, this spot has a daily happy hour with food and drink specials. It’s decorated in line with an Old Western theme that will bring you back to the cowboy days.
Switchback Smokehouse – Visitors confidently confess this is the best BBQ they’ve ever tasted, from the sliced brisket to the smoked duck and gourmet sides. All of the meats are smoked in-house and there is a quaint outdoor seating area right next to a babbling stream.
Activities near Kittredge
- Evergreen Lake Ice Rink (3mi)