Neighboring two of Colorado’s state parks, Chatfield State Park and Roxborough State Park, the town of Roxborough Park is a small incorporated community roughly 25 miles southwest of Denver. It’s surrounded by natural rock formations and situated at the base of the foothills.
Roxborough Park offers multiple opportunities for outdoor adventures with tranquil surroundings. Sprinkled with modern conveniences, this small town packs a big punch. It resides at an elevation of 5,751 feet in Douglas County.
Roxborough State Park – The town of Roxborough Park acts as the gateway to Roxborough State Park, which offers striking red rocks similar to the Garden of the Gods. It’s open for day use year-round, with snowshoeing and cross-country skiing in the winter.
Arrowhead Golf Course – A championship golf course set against the foothills with luxurious amenities, event and group capabilities, and unparalleled scenery. On the Rocks Bar and Grill serves up lunch and dinner each day if you need to refuel during your game.
Community Park – The main community park is located off N. Rampart Range Road and provides ample opportunity for outdoor recreation. With a walking path, skate park, and tennis courts, this relaxed space is idyllic for a sunny Colorado afternoon.
- About 30 minutes away from the park you’ll find Rampart Range Road, where there are several campgrounds dotted along the winding forest road.
- Chatfield State Park offers full hook-up camping seasonally from mid-April to mid-October. In the winter months, there are plenty of dry and electric-only sites to use. Every site is a quick walk to the lake and there are coin showers and laundry facilities for guests to use as well.
Fishing – Chatfield State Park has some of the best trout fishing in the Denver metro. Fishing licenses are required to cast a line, and in addition to trout, you’ll also find walleye, perch, carp, and channel catfish.
Golfing – Arrowhead Golf Course is arguably one of the most gorgeous courses in the state, with red sandstone rock formations towering over the 6,636-yard championship golf course. Their facilities also include a short game area, a driving range, and a world-class pro shop.
- South Rim trail is one of the more popular hikes in Roxborough, totaling just under 2 miles with a couple of hundred feet in elevation gain. It takes about 2 hours and leads to beautiful views of the north valley.
- Fountain Valley trail begins right next to the Visitor’s Center and is a 2.5-mile loop. You get a lot of bang for your buck on this loop, with two overlooks and a historic site to explore.
- Carpenter Peak trail is 6 miles roundtrip with 1000 feet of elevation gain, but it’s well worth it for the panoramic views of downtown Denver and Pike National Forest. It takes about 3 to 3.5 hours to complete, not accounting for stops.
Nordic Skiing – Roxborough is also one of the most picturesque Nordic areas to explore after a fresh coating of snow. Skiiers must stay on designated trails, but there are plenty of options to choose from.
Skating – Roxborough skate park is a 15,000 square-foot concrete skate park with several bowls, pipes, ramps, and flow courses to ride.
While there are no hotels in Roxborough Park, head up to Littleton for a few accommodation options.
Waterton Tavern – Locally owned tavern with cold beer, big burgers, and hearty sides. They also have a daily happy hour to enjoy after a day of exploring the local parks.
Sapore Prime Italian – This Italian eatery is a huge hit in town, serving up a variety of pasta and meat dishes with dessert and cocktails as well. They also strive to source their ingredients locally, so you know everything will be fresh.
Rosa Mexican Kitchen – A hidden jewel Mexican spot in town, Rosa’s menu has tortas, tacos, bowls, and quesadillas. Everything is reasonably priced and they offer takeaway or dine-in.
Activities near Roxborough Park
- Community Park
- Waterton Canyon
- Castle Pines (19mi)
- Castle Rock (21mi)
- Colorado Springs (61mi)
- Deckers (38mi)
- Denver (25mi)
- Franktown (28mi)
- Highlands Ranch (14mi)
- Littleton (14mi)
- Lone Tree (18mi)
- Monument (43mi)
- Parker (28mi)
- Sedalia (13mi)