Apex Mountain School offers a host of high mountain adventure, from rock and ice climbing, to backcountry skiing and wilderness education. Guided trips are available year round in rock climbing, including both adventure rappelling and multi-pitch climbing.
Apex provides year round rock climbing only minutes from town and throughout Colorado. There are a slew of local trips for all ages and levels, including Red Cliff, Vail, Table Mesa, Rifle Mountain Park, Colorado National Monument and Flatiron.
- Vail – routes ranging from 50 to 100 feet tall, beginners welcome.
- Beaver Creek – various rock types and heights, beginners to advanced.
- Breckenridge – 50 to 100 feet tall routes, suitable for all levels.
- Table Mesa – climbing near Denver.
- Flatirons – multi-pitch climbing for beginners and intermediates.
- Multi-Pitch – multi-pitch climbing routes throughout Colorado.
- Multi-Pitch Overnighter – climb a secluded high desert tower, then relax with an evening supper on the summit, before spending the night atop.
- Indoor Climbing – state of the art climbing gym designed to progress your skill for bouldering, top rope climbing and lead climbing.
- Rappelling – combine with rock climbing or do rappelling alone by starting at the top of a sheer rock wall, suitable for all levels.
World class instruction is taught by AMGA (American Mountain Guides Association) training guides, with lessons for beginner, intermediate and advanced rock climbers. You can also take “How To Lead Climb” and “Building Climbing Anchors” classes.
Private instruction is taught for both skiing and boarding beginners and intermediates in the backcountry. They teach “Intro to Splitboarding and “2 Day Advanced Splitboarding” courses, as well as a “2 Day Snowboard Mountaineering”, and AiARE Level 1 and 2 courses for avalanche training.
Apex hosts ice climbing trips and courses in the Vail Valley. Take a day trip to Vail’s frozen waterfalls on Chalk Creek Falls in Leadville. Multi-day trips are available in Rifle Mountain Park in Western Colorado and the secluded San Juan Mountains in Lake City.
All experience levels are welcome, from first-timer to experts looking for a major ascent. Each trip is fully customizable by knowledgeable guides. Beginner and intermediate ice climbing lessons are available, with education in how to swing tools, kick with crampons, how to tie in, and how the belay system works. Learn to judge risk and navigate routes.
Backcountry Ski & Splitboard
Ski untracked lines in Vail’s expansive backcountry terrain. Skin out with professional guides or a single or multi-day trip. Overnight hut trips stay in remote cabins with gourmet meals prepared for you.
Climb a Colorado fourteener in the winter! Qualified guides will lead you to over 14,000 feet. Take winter Mountaineering courses 101, 102 and 103. Snowboard mountaineering is offered as well.
Courses are offered in rock climbing, ice climbing, ski and snowboarding, wilderness medicine, avalanche education and mountaineering.
Multi-day adventures in Moab, UT include canyoneering, desert survial, hiking, rappelling, rock climbing and camping. Guided camping and hut trips are offered in Colorado.
Address: 51 Eagle-Vail Rd, Avon, CO
Season: Year round (rock climbing)
Season: December through March (ice climbing)