Green Mountain Reservoir is a beautiful lake with lots to do, including boating, fishing, camping, and hiking in the White River National Forest. It stretches for several miles on Highway 9, north of Silverthorne and south of Kremmling.
Blue River passes through this long alpine lake, offering additional places for fly-fishing. All the campgrounds have beautiful views of the lake. Be sure to pick up supplies in Silverthorne or Kremmling, as there’s only one bait shop/general store around the lake in Heeney.
Boating: Open to boating of all types, jet skis, water skis. The Heeney Marina rents out boats on the lake. They also have snacks, drinks, and ice cream. 151 County Rd 1798, Heeney, heeneymarina.com
Camping: There are several fairly primitive, national forest campgrounds around the lake. Each has vault toilets; $13/night + an additional fee for each vehicle more than two vehicles. There are no hookups or water. Sites begin opening around May. Reservations
- Cataract Creek – 5 sites with tables, first-come, first-serve
- Prairie Point – 33 sites, first-come, first-serve
- McDonald Flats – 13 sites, first-come, first-serve
- Cow Creek North – 15 sites, first-come, first-serve
- Cow Creek South – 40 sites, reservable
- Elliot Creek – 15 sites, first-come, first-serve
- Willows – 35 sites, first-come, first-serve
- Read about the camping near Green Mountain Reservoir and Summit County.
- Read about the camping near Kremmling, Parshall and Hot Sulphur Springs.
Fishing: Lake is open to boat and shore fishing. In winter there’s ice fishing.
- The Blue River can be accessed below the dam for catch and release fishing; artificial flies and lures only in this section. It’s open until 8 pm.
- Lower Cataract Lake is a 5-minute drive west on Co Rd 1725, which is off Heeney Rd.
- The Black Creek Reservoir is known for largemouth bass, bluegill, and rainbow trout. From Heeney Rd, take Black Creek Rd on the south end of the lake.
- Master Bait & Tackle is a local bait shop/snack/liquor store on the west side of the lake. 6875 Heeney Rd
Hiking: Trails around the lake and in the wilderness west of Green Mountain Reservoir. Lower Cataract Lake has a nice 2-mile hike, relatively flat, to Cataract Falls.
OHV: There are several county roads next to the lake that permits off-highway vehicles: Williams Peak Rd, Elliott Ridge, Brush Creek Rd.
Rafting: Rafts and kayaks use the Blue River below the dam.
Address: US 9, Heeney, CO (b/w Kremmling & Silverthorne)
Map: Dillon (PDF – Large) Motor vehicle use map containing forest service roads and where dispersed camping is permitted.
Latest in Green Mountain Reservoir
Colorado’s 15 Biggest Bodies of Water
Colorado boasts some pretty big lakes and reservoirs within its state lines. From the eastern plains…
Camping near Breck, Dillon, Frisco, and Silverthorne, all around Summit County
Summit County is probably the most popular weekend destination for the millions living on the plains…
Camping near Breck, Dillon, Frisco, and Silverthorne, all around Summit CountyRead More
39 Top Colorado Campgrounds by Lakes
Colorado’s picturesque scenic landscape and proximity to an abundance of outdoor activities make camping here a…
10 Fishing Spots around Breckenridge
If you’re lucky enough to live in or frequently visit this exciting mountain town, you already…