Yampa River State Park is the widest ranging of the state parks in Colorado, spanning over 100 miles, although it’s not the biggest in actual acreage. Located in the charming Yampa Valley west of Steamboat Springs, Yampa River State Park is actually 3 parks in one.
- Headquarters on the Yampa River in Hayden
- A 134-mile stretch of Yampa between Hayden and Dinosaur National Monument near Utah border
- The Elkhead Reservoir has 2 swim beaches and is popular for boating and fishing.
The headquarters in Hayden features a visitor center, modern campground, tepees for rent, shower facilities, access to the Yampa River, volleyball and picnicking. Other highlights include numerous sites on the Yampa River along its 100+ mile stretch.
Activities at Yampa River
Boating: There are 13 access points with boat ramps along the 134-mile stretch of Yampa River. Some may close if water levels are to high/fast.
Camping: Yes, offers a variety of campgrounds in and around state park.
- Headquarters campground near Hayden; 50 sites – 35 of them have electric hook-ups for RVs, 10 are tent sites and 5 group sites. There’s also a tipi for rent. Showers and laundry available.
- 6 primitive camping areas along a 134-mile stretch of the Yampa River from Hayden to Dinosaur National Monument on the CO/Utah state line. Each campground has 5-10 sites.
- Undeveloped camping along various stretches of the Yampa River.
- Elkhead Reservoir located 11 miles west of the headquarters in Hayden has camping.
- Tepees – The park headquarters in Hayden has a few tepees for rent.
Read about the Camping near Craig and Hayden.
Fishing: The Yampa River starts in the Flat Top Mountains near Yampa, goes past Steamboat and west to Dinosaur. Fish along any point of it with a valid license. All park sites have easy fishing access.
Hiking: 1.25 mile nature hike with interpretive displays at headquarters.
Hunting: There is no hunting in the park, but Hayden is centrally located around BLM and National Forest hunting lands.
Whitewater Rafting: Most sections of the Yampa River are relatively calm, with Class I-II rapids, but there are sections with Class III-V rapids. There are several commercial rafting companies that raft the Yampa River.
Address: 6185 Highway 40, Hayden, CO
Season: Year round
Hours: 8am-4:30pm, unless camping or fishing
Pets: Yes, on leash
Fee: Yes, daily vehicle fee
Map: Yampa River (PDF)