Start your fall by dropping by the Elk Fest for the annual elk “rut”. Estes Park becomes full of the evocative call of this majestic beast during the early days of autumn. It signals the start of the rutting season when the bull elks leave the wilderness to show up to our society and fight for affection.
These antlered frequenters, along with the extensive Western heritage, are being honored yearly by wildlife enthusiasts and simple visitors alike. This year’s event takes place from Saturday to Sunday, October 1st – 2nd, 2022 in Bond Park. The entire two-day festival is free, however, there are admission fees for the bugling contest.
It all began over 20 years ago, when the community developers took advantage of the huge gathering of people and even those only enjoying the view from their windows, by organizing the very first Elk Fest. It has become a yearly celebration in Larimer County since then, delighting new attendees every season.
Everyone is up for a real treat, as this two-day festival features many fun activities to spice up the celebration including”
- On-site vendors that offer food, elk-inspired arts, crafts, and other memorable souvenirs
- A children’s area for dancing, story-telling, and other elk-themed activities
- Native Americans will perform dances, storytelling, and play music
- Information about the elk breeding season (rut) and natural history
- A craft Beer Garden (Wallowing Hole) and cuisine
- Live music including Avenhart and Cass Clayton
On stage live entertainment from some mainstream Colorado bands that offer country, rock, and bluegrass music is also present to light up the park on both days. There’s also a concurrent run/walk race event happening called the Rut Run 5K. It’s not part of the festival but happening around the same time.
Estes Park Accommodations
Address: Estes Park, CO
Date: Saturday – Sunday | October 1 – 2, 2022