America’s only mountain zoo, Cheyenne Mountain has more than 800 animals from around the world. There are more than 30 species of endangered animals, from Sumatran orangutans and lowland Gorillas to Spectacled bears and African elephants.
The park is 146 scenic areas. Adventure awaits in Wolf Woods, an award-winning mountainside exhibit of Mexican gray wolves. Exhibits change regularly and there’s always a special event around the corner.
- African Rift Valley – giraffes, Red River hogs, meerkats, Colobus monkeys, Grant’s zebra, okapi, kori bustards
- Aquatics – beaver, fish, hippos, Komodo dragon, penguins
- Asian Highlands – Amur leopards & tigers, Pallas’ cats, snow leopards
- Australia – crocodiles (seasonal), parakeets, wallabies
- Bears – Asiatic black bears, spectacled bears
- Encounter Africa – black rhino, elephants, meerkat, lions
- Lion’s Lair – African lions
- Monkey Pavilion – gibbons, lemurs, mangabeys
- My Big Backyard – chicken, goats, koi, potbelly pig, rabbits
- Primate World – lowland gorillas, orangutans, macaques, naked mole rats, Siamangs
- Rocky Cliffs – mountain goats
- Rocky Mountain Wild – bald eagle, grizzly bears, lynx, Mexican gray wolf, moose, mountain lions, porcupine, river otters,
- Scutes Family Gallery – 40+ species of reptiles
While you’re at the zoo, be sure to drive the Russell Tutt Scenic Highway. This hidden gem of a scenic drive leads all the way up to the Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun.
Address: 4250 Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Rd, Colorado Springs, CO 80906
Hours: 9am – 5pm | Last admission is at 4pm
Latest in Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
11 Colorado Springs Tourist Attractions
Colorado Springs sprawls over two hundred square miles in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains, the…
Do Grizzly Bears Still Live in Colorado?
The short answer to this question is almost certainly no, there aren’t any grizzly bears left…
5 Historical Figures That Transformed Colorado and Beyond
From personalities that continue to inspire to those who met tragically predictable ends, Colorado has been…
5 Historical Figures That Transformed Colorado and BeyondRead More
Families Spring into Action in Colorado Springs
Too many times parents forego their desired vacation destination because it’s unclear whether it will be…