Located on the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe Reservation, Towaoc is a tiny town in the four corners region. It’s a census-designated place most known for its dazzling casino and importance to our state’s native people.
Towaoc is located southwest of Cortez in Montezuma County at an elevation of 6,007 feet. It replaced Aztec Springs, NM as the capital city of the Ute Mountain Tribe and as of 2020 was home to about 1,120 people. A holy mountain for the Ute people known as Sleeping Ute Mountain lies just east and the old town complex is also situated there.
Ute Mountain Casino Hotel – 24-hour gambling and gaming available in the southwest region on the Ute Mountain Tribe Reservation. Operating for over 30 years, this is a popular spot for perusing the casino floor to check out the newest slot machines, sports betting, and even bingo. Amenities include campgrounds, a hotel, and the Kuchu Restaurant.
Ute Mountain Tribal Park – Both half and full-day guided tours are offered at Ute Mountain Tribal Park. Discover Ancient Puebloan ruins including cliff dwellings and pictographs. Knowledgeable Native guides lead tours throughout the summer season.
- Sleeping Ute RV Park is part of the Ute Casino complex, so you’re never far from the action. Camper amenities include showers, laundry, WiFi, and a swimming pool and sauna as well. The park isn’t only for RVs though, there are a handful of shaded tent camping spots.
- La Mesa RV Park is nestled in the heart of Cortez, giving you prime access to restaurants, shopping, and other nearby activities. They have 38 RV spots up to 65 feet long and a few tent sites as well. Enjoy bathrooms, showers, free WiFi, and laundry facilities during your stay at La Mesa.
- Morefield Campground is located right in Mesa Verde National Park with plenty of amenities and over 250 spaces for tent camping and RVs. There are 15 full-hookup sites for RVs and 17 group camping spots. The iconic cliff dwellings are only a short walk from the campground, so this is a great base for exploring the park.
- Check out the camping near Towaoc and Cortez.
- Totten Lake is a small SWA reservoir in east Cortez that is stocked with catfish, pike, and largemouth bass.
- Mancos State Park is about a 45-minute drive northeast of Towaoc and offers seasonal fishing on over 217 acres of water. Wakeless watercraft are allowed and the lake is stocked with rainbow trout a few times each year.
Hiking – Mesa Verde National Park is only a short 30-minute drive to some of the most iconic cliff dwellings in the state. There are a variety of hikes for all levels that get you up close and personal with these wonderous structures.
This section contains referral links. If you click through and take action, we may receive a commission, at no additional cost to you.
Ute Mountain Casino Hotel – Plan your weekend escape at the hotel attached to the casino, complete with 90 renovated rooms. Choose between standard room sizes or opt for one of the Full, Junior, or Spa suites to pamper yourself after a day of gaming and fun. Guests also have access to a swimming pool, sauna, hot tub, and exercise center during their stay.
Other than the casino, there aren’t many other accommodations in Towaoc. If you want more options, check out the hotels in nearby Cortez.
Activities near Towaoc
Latest in Towaoc
Colorado’s Native American casinos are found within the Ute Mountain National Reservation, where the Southern Ute…
View more Towaoc articles