Cortez is one of the largest towns in Southwest Colorado, secluded near the Four Corners. The historic downtown section is several blocks, all lined with nice shops and restaurants.
Archaeological Sites – The southwest region of Colorado was once settled by the Anasazi or Ancient Peubloan people. Ancient ruins are located all around, many have been excavated are are open to visit. Find pit houses, cliff dwellings, kivas and other signs of civilization. Mesa Verde, Hovenweep and Canyons of the Ancients are all nearby.
- Mancos State Park offers 32 sites; no electrical hook-ups.
- Mesa Verde has a whopping 267 campsites, many with
- Hovenweep has a very nice 31-site campground with breathtaking views.
- Primitive car camping is permitted on many BLM roads in the Canyons of the Ancients.
- McPhee Recreation Area has a campground.
- Nearby by Mancos State Park offers a large lake open to fishing and boating year round.
- McPhee Reservoir to the north near Dolores has boating and fishing. It’s the second largest lake in Colorado behind Blue Mesa Reservoir.
- Totten Lake is a small reservoir just east of downtown.
- Great hiking is never far off in the Southwest. Many archaeological sites offer well maintained trails and a chance to see historic sights.
Things To Do near Cortez, CO
- Ute Mountain Casino (14mi)
- Canyons of the Ancients (11mi)
- Hovenweep (45mi)
- McPhee Reservoir (16mi)
- Mesa Verde National Park (22mi)
- Mesa Verde Wilderness
- San Juan National Forest
- Yucca House (11mi)
Made in Colorado:
- Mancos (23mi)
5 Reasons to Visit Mesa Verde this Winter – In the A.D. 1200s, the cliff dwellings of Mesa Verde were home to ancestral Pueblo Indian people. Today, visitors come from all over the world to explore the archaeology preserved at Mesa Verde National Park. Mesa Verde is…
Snow-free Winter Hike on Sand Canyon Trail – When you need a break from snow and ice, try the red rock of McElmo Canyon and the Sand Canyon Trail in southwestern Colorado. The lower part of this trail in Canyons of the Ancients National Monument offers year…