Situated at 7,933 feet, Dumont is an unincorporated community situated beside Interstate 70 and Clear Creek. There aren’t really any commercial businesses in town and most people pass by it via the highway.
There is a post office operating in the town with a zip code of 80436. Dumont resides in Clear Creek County, contributing to about a third of the Downieville-Lawson-Dumont census-designated place, which had a total population of 527 as of 2020.
The original settlement in this area was founded in 1859 and called Mill City. It was a bustling stagecoach stop along Clear Creek known for its mining and smelting ventures. The iconic Mill City House was built in 1860 and is still standing today.
By 1880, the town had about 100 full-time residents, two hotels, a school, and a general store. Around this time, residents decided to name the town to honor its founder, Colonel John M. Dumont. Dumont was a mine owner and was influential in the early success of the town.
Lawson Adventure Park & Resort – This tourist attraction boasts nearby or on-site access to a myriad of mountain activities. They guide river rafting trips down Clear Creek, zip lining tours, disc golf, hiking, playing in their Zorb, and guided ice fishing, among other activities.
MAD Adventures – Raft on the whitewater of Clear Creek with this Dumont outfitter. They offer beginner and intermediate trips daily from mid-May to early August and can accommodate large groups.
- Cottonwood RV near Idaho Springs is nestled in a valley right next to the flowing Chicago Creek. It is open year-round and suitable for all sizes of RV rigs. However, there are no spaces for tent camping.
- West Chicago Creek campground to the south of town also sits along the creek in an aspen forest. It has 15 sites for both tent and RV camping, each with a tent pad, fire ring, and charcoal grill. There are no hookups available.
- Robbers Roost campground is just an hour west, heading past Berthoud Falls on US-40. It is a seasonal US Forest Service campground with 11 non-electric sites. There are restrooms and trash facilities for visitors to use on the property.
- Read about the camping near Empire, around Jones Pass.
- Clear Creek runs through town and is an easy spot to cast a line in. Fishermen report typically catching a mix of trout species.
- Just 15 minutes southwest of town you’ll find Georgetown Lake, a year-round destination for fishing. There is excellent fly fishing for rainbow and brook trout, as well as the occasional kokanee salmon.
- Loch Lomond trail totals 4.6 miles of pretty rocky and steep terrain. However, there are sweeping alpine views and a waterfall at the top to make the effort worth it.
- St. Mary’s Glacier is a short and sweet trail to a beautiful glacier and lake. You can use it year-round; the summertime is great to take a dip in the chilly glacial runoff and it’s an easy trek to snowshoe in the winter.
This section contains referral links. If you click through and take action, we may receive a commission, at no additional cost to you.
Lawson Adventure Park & Resort – Right down the street from Dumont you’ll find this fun resort with cozy accommodation options. Choose between a tiny-house style 1 or 2-bedroom cabin with a full kitchen, or a more rustic camping yurt. There is free WiFi on the property and all options are pet-friendly.
If you want hotel accommodations, there are several options in nearby Georgetown or Idaho Springs.
Adventure Basecamp Bar & Grille – Although it’s the only dining option in town, we would be doing a disservice not to mention it. Visitors rave about the friendly staff, incredible food and coffee, and the wide variety of alcoholic options. You can’t go wrong stopping here for a bite, whether you’re staying at the resort or just passing by.
Activities near Dumont
- Indian Hot Springs (5mi)
- Berthoud Pass (18mi)
- Jones Pass (17mi)
- Downieville (1mi)
- Empire (4mi)
- Evergreen (21mi)
- Georgetown (7mi)
- Idaho Springs (5mi)
- Lawson (1mi)
- Silver Plume (79i)
- Winter Park (29mi)
Latest in Dumont
Camping near Georgetown and Idaho Springs, by Guanella Pass and Mt. Evans
Idaho Springs and Georgetown are a couple of the most accessible mountain towns from the Denver…
Camping near Georgetown and Idaho Springs, by Guanella Pass and Mt. EvansRead More
5 Amazing Amusement Parks by Denver
Denver boasts its fair share of top summer theme parks to keep the young and young-at-heart…
View more Dumont articles