Rangely is located in the sparsely populated Northwest Colorado. Downtown has several blocks of restaurants, shopping and lodging. If visiting near Dinosaur, Rangely makes a great home base.
The town is located on the Dinosaur Diamond Scenic and Historic Byway. A wide array of outdoor activities can be found close to town, including golfing, hunting, water sports, fossil beds, canyons, and even a rock crawling park.
The earliest oil was observed in Rangely in 1870’s. Before that Native Americans used oil seeping out of the ground for medicinal purposes. The California Company, now Chevron, drilled 6,335 ft to a vast pocket of crude oil in the early 1930s. Today, the largest oil field in the Rocky Mountains is located close to Rangely.
Dinosaur National Monument – Rangely is the closest town to Dinosaur with ample shopping and lodging.
- Kenney Reservoir is close to town and has lakeside camping.
- Kenney Reservoir provides fishing and boating.
- Crab Crack – All you can eat crab event on Valentines Day.
- Fourth of July – Fireworks celebration.
- Septemberfest – Annual car show held in September in the park.
- Rock Crawl – September rock climbing competition.
Things to do near Rangely
- Dinosaur (20mi)