Grand Junction is the biggest city in western Colorado, with a population around 60,000. It’s situated in the Grand Valley, a region full of striking contrasts.
There’s outdoor recreation and amazing landmarks in every direction. Amazing sandstones sit just west of town in the dry canyonlands of Colorado National Monument. Located to the east is Grand Mesa, a gigantic flattop mountain full of forests and alpine lakes welcomes you.
The town sits at an elevation of 4,593 on Colorado’s western slope within Mesa County. It was incorporated on July 22, 1882. There’s a large historic downtown area full of shopping and dining.
Amtrak Train – What do you do when you arrive in Grand Junction? You get on a train heading out of a Grand Junction…just joking. This convenient national rail line connects GJ with the popular tourist destinations of Glenwood Springs, Granby and Denver to the east. It continues east from Colorado to Chicago where it finishes. To the west it goes to California.
Colorado National Monument – Enjoy hiking, biking and sight-seeing in this breathtaking location. Colorado National Monument is one of the state’s most striking natural landmarks. Drive along this scenic auto tour from Grand Junction to Fruita.
Wine and Vineyards – The Western Slope is home to an array of excellent wineries. Spend part of your day strolling through vineyards and enjoy free wine tastings daily at places.
- Lunch Loop Bike Park is located behind downtown near the entrance to the CNM. There are several single lane dirt trails in addition to the bike park.
- Colorado National Monument offers well maintained campgrounds.
- Nearby Colorado River State Park has campgrounds, one in Fruita and the other in Palisade.
Read about the Camping near Grand Junction, around Mesa County.
- Colorado River provides year round fishing opportunities close to town.
- There are lots of trails in the Colorado National Monument, although pets are not permitted.
Read about the Top 18 Cool Hotels in Grand Junction.
Jun – Country Jam – For more than twenty five years Grand Junction has hosted Country Jam, one of the nation’s largest country music festivals, held over four days in mid June.
Activities near Grand Junction
- Black Ridge Canyons Wilderness Area (34mi)
- Colorado National Monument (17mi)
- Dominguez Canyon Wilderness (25mi)
- Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area (25mi)
- Grand Mesa National Forest
- Little Book Cliffs Wild Horse Range (15mi)
- Uncompahgre National Forest
- Powderhorn Mountain Resort (39mi)
- Austin (46mi)
- Cedaredge (54mi)
- Clifton (5mi)
- Collbran (40mi)
- De Beque (32mi)
- Delta (40mi)
- Fruita (12mi)
- Gateway (53mi)
- Hotchkiss (60mi)
- Loma (18mi)
- Mack (21mi)
- Mesa (30mi)
- Montrose (60mi)
- Naturita (104mi)
- Olathe (50mi)
- Orchard City (49mi)
- Palisade (11mi)
- Parachute (44mi)
- Placerville (110mi)
- Rifle (61mi)
- Uravan (90mi)
- Whitewater (6mi)
Latest in Grand Junction
From utility to tourist attraction, Colorado’s railroad system has seen its share of twists and turns…
Colorado is home to a surprising 130 wineries spread throughout the state. While Colorado might not…
The Colorado River is one of the most coveted waterways for kayaking and other human-powered watercraft.…