Olathe is a very small town on the Western Slope, situated between Delta and Montrose. The town is hidden away a few blocks off of Highway 50. There aren’t a whole of shops or businesses in this quiet community.
Situated in Montrose County, Olathe resides at an elevation of 5,364 feet. In 2010, Olathe reported a population of 1,849 people. There has been an Olathe Post Office since 1896. The town was incorporated on October 16th, 1907. It was named for Olathe, Kansas.
Sweet Corn – Olathe’s sweet sweet corn is a famous food around Colorado. Come in August as they celebrate the harvest each Saturday at a town festival.
- Uncompahgre National Forest is located to the west. It holds a lot of opportunities for dispersed camping, as well as Forest Service campgrounds.
- Sweitzer Lake is open to day use, with boating and fishing on the 137 acre reservoir.
Aug – Olathe Sweet Corn Festival – Annual summer Saturday of sweet corn and live music held in early August.
Activities near Olathe
- Black Canyon of Gunnison National Park (22mi)
- Grand Mesa National Forest
- Gunnison Gorge Wilderness Area
- Gunnison National Forest
- Uncompahgre National Forest