Crawford has a small downtown section, with a few restaurants, shops, and a post office. The town is surrounded by big mountains, national forests, and a national park. It’s notorious for being the last town with a gas station if you’re heading south on CO-92.
Located in Delta County, Crawford resides at 6,800 feet in elevation. It had a recorded population of 403 in 2020. Crawford’s peculiar nickname is “Crawford Country USA”. The town is situated along the very scenic, West Elk Loop Byway.
Crawford State Park – Large, scenic park that offers outdoor recreation galore. It’s centered around an alpine lake, open to boating, fishing, swimming, and even scuba diving if you’re into that.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (North Rim) – Only a twenty-minute drive from town will lead you to unmatched views and landscapes. Take a drive high above the canyon, and camp, rock climb, or hike.
- Crawford State Park has 45 campsites around Crawford Reservoir, some with electric hookups.
- North Rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a short drive from town. There are 13 campsites in a pinyon-juniper forest, open spring to fall.
- Read about the camping near Paonia, Hotchkiss and Crawford.
- Crawford Reservoir offers fishing year-round, with ice fishing in the winter. It is best known for its quality crappie and perch. The water is popular for motorized boating, so fishing in the morning or evening will be your best bet.
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park has three hiking options on the north rim (closest to Crawford). The Chasm Nature View trail is only 1/3 of a mile. The North Vista and Deadhorse trails range from 3-7 miles, depending on how far you feel like going.
This section contains referral links. If you click through and take action, we may receive a commission, at no additional cost to you.
The Hitching Post Hotel – A cozy hotel right in the heart of downtown, the rooms are clean and the owners are courteous. It is close to the restaurants in town as well.
Stone House Inn – Spacious rooms with sitting areas, plush beds, and a refrigerator make this inn the perfect home away from home. They also have great outdoor areas to enjoy some fresh air.
Smith Fork Ranch – Head about 7 miles east of downtown and you’ll find this peaceful gem. Previously a dude ranch, the property now rents out accommodation through Airbnb and VRBO.
Read more about the best hotels in Crawford.
Chicho’s Burgers – A local favorite for over-the-top, flavorful burgers and burritos. All of their sides are made in-house as well.
The Lazy J Coffee Shop – Cozy, locally-owned coffee spot with great lattes, western interior design, and fast wifi for hanging out and getting some work done.
Joe’s Restaurant and Bar – If you’re craving a home-cooked meal, Joe’s has you covered. They are open for all three meals and have friendly service.
Jun – Crawford Pioneer Days Celebration – A special festival in June to celebrate Crawford’s western heritage. They hold a massive parade along with vendors, a baking contest, and even a hay bale race.
Nov – Parade of Lights – The main street of town is filled with holiday floats, fire trucks, and even Santa himself for a large parade. Vendors will have warm drinks for sale at this event as well, which normally takes place the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Dec – Festival of Trees – Starting after Thanksgiving, local organizations, designers, and businesses decorate Christmas trees that are displayed in the Crawford Community Center. On the day of the festival, people can bid to buy each tree and proceeds go to local charities. There is also a Santa visit, holiday crafts, and more.
Activities near Crawford
Cross Country Skiing:
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (9mi)
- Black Canyon of Gunnison Wilderness
- Curecanti National Rec Area
- Grand Mesa National Forest
- Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area (17mi)
- Gunnison National Forest
- Mesa Lakes
- Powderhorn Mountain Resort (66mi)
- Carbondale (72mi)
- Cedaredge (34mi)
- Delta (31mi)
- Grand Junction (71mi)
- Gunnison (68mi)
- Hotchkiss (11mi)
- Mesa (73mi)
- Montrose (51mi)
- Paonia (19mi)
- Redstone (56mi)
- Ridgway (77mi)
- Grand Junction Regional Airport (77mi)
- Gunnison-Crested Butte Regional Airport (68mi)
- Montrose Regional Airport (49mi)
Latest in Crawford
Nestled in western Colorado’s picturesque wine country, Paonia is located near some of Colorado’s most scenic…