Montrose is one of the larger mountain towns on the Western Slope. It’s still a small town, but there’s plenty of commercial options for eating, shopping and dining. Depending on who you ask, it’s pronounced either “mon-trose” or “mont-rose”. Most people use the former.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison – The entrance to the South Rim is located only about 10 miles from downtown. This national park offers year round recreation and sightseeing.
- South Rim of the B.C.G. has several campgrounds close to town.
- Fly fishing and artificial lures are permitted in the Gunnison River in the national park.
Read about the Top 9 Cool Hotels in Montrose.
Jun – Unknown Motorcycle Show – Downtown Montrose hosts more than 100 vintage and custom motorcycles in early June.
Activities near Montrose
Made in Colorado:
- Black Canyon of Gunnison National Park (12mi)
- Black Canyon of Gunnison Wilderness
- Gunnison Gorge Wilderness
- Gunnison National Forest
- Uncompahgre National Forest
- Bedrock (78mi)
- Cimarron (19mi)
- Delta (22mi)
- Naturita (78mi)
- Nucla (78mi)
- Olathe (10mi)
- Ouray (36mi)
- Paradox (92mi)
- Redvale (56mi)
- Ridgway (26mi)
- Uravan (78mi)