Montrose is one of the larger mountain towns on the Western Slope. It’s still a small town, but there’s plenty of commercial options for eating, shopping, and dining. Depending on who you ask, it’s pronounced either “mon-trose” or “mont-rose”. Most people use the former.
The town sits at 5,807 feet at the western base of the Rockies along the scenic Highway 550. This historic western slope town was incorporated on May 1, 1882. It’s located in Montrose County, in between Delta and Ridgway.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison – The entrance to the South Rim is located only about 10 miles from downtown. This national park offers year-round recreation and sightseeing.
Read about the best things to do in Montrose.
- South Rim of the B.C.G. has several campgrounds close to town.
- Read about the camping near Montrose and Delta.
- Fly fishing and artificial lures are permitted in the Gunnison River in the national park.
- Read about the hiking trails near Montrose.
Hotels and lodging:
- Read about the best hotels in Montrose.
Jun – Unknown Motorcycle Show – Cerise park in Montrose hosts more than 100 vintage and custom motorcycles on a Saturday in early June.
Activities near Montrose
Cross Country Skiing:
- Black Canyon of Gunnison National Park (12mi)
- Black Canyon of Gunnison Wilderness Area
- Gunnison Gorge Wilderness Area
- Gunnison National Forest
- Uncompahgre National Forest
- Uncompahgre River
- Bedrock (78mi)
- Cimarron (19mi)
- Delta (22mi)
- Naturita (78mi)
- Nucla (78mi)
- Olathe (10mi)
- Ouray (36mi)
- Paradox (113mi)
- Redvale (56mi)
- Ridgway (26mi)
- Uravan (78mi)