Uncompahgre National Forest covers nearly 1 million acres in western Colorado. It’s accessed to the south of Grand Junction, with a lot of terrain off Highway 550 around Delta.
The national forests in the southwest part of Colorado are spectacular. There is recreation for every kind of adventure seeker. Parts of the San Juan Mountains are located within the Uncompahgre National Forest. Located on Colorado’s far western slope, this national forest is full of marvels.
There are a number of stunning drives passing through this national forest. The San Juan Skyway passes 200 miles of scenery on this loop between Ridgway, Cortez, and Durango. The Uncompahgre National Forest hugs the west side of the Silver Thread Byway near Lake City.
Activities: Biking, Boating, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Hunting, Picnicking, OHV, Scenic Drives, Cross Country Skiing, Snowmobiling, Snowshoeing
- Read about the camping near Ouray and Ridgway.
- Read about the camping near Telluride, Ophir, and Rico.
- Read about the camping near Naturita, Norwood, Nucla, and Gateway.
Map: Uncompahgre NF Map (PNG)
Motor Vehicle Use Maps:
- Plateau (PDF) – Grand Junction Delta, Montrose
- Mountain (PDF) – Telluride, Ridgway, Ouray, Silverton, Lake City
Uncompahgre Campgrounds: Reservations