Mesa sits at the base of the largest flat-topped mountain in the world, Grand Mesa. It’s an unincorporated town located close Powderhorn Ski Resort.
Situated in a region known as Plateau Valley, the town resides at 5,636 feet of elevation in Mesa County. It had a population of 789 in 2010. There is a Mesa Post Office with zip code of 81643.
Grand Mesa – Gigantic flat-topped mountain home to endless recreation and sightseeing. Take the Grand Mesa Byway south to begin the ascent. Enjoy biking, boating, fishing, camping, hiking and OHV trails in the summer, and snowshoeing, snowmobiling and cross country skiing in winter.
Powderhorn Resort – This western gem provides an astonishing 1600 acres on the hillside of Grand Mesa. It’s a locals favorite, with light, dry snow and excellent glade skiing.
- Both primitive car camping and modern campgrounds can be found nearby in Grand Mesa National Forest.
- Read about the camping near Cedaredge and Collbran and Grand Mesa.
- Mesa Lake and Island Lake are among dozens of lakes in the Gran Mesa National Forest. Head south on CO-65 and you’ll pass a number of lakes.
- Vega Reservoir is another great open just east of town in Collbran.
- Wonder around numerous trails in on top Grand Mesa or head west to Vega for a state park experience.
Activities near Mesa
Cross Country Skiing:
- Cedaredge (38mi)
- Collbran (13mi)
- Delta (53mi)
- Fruita (41mi)
- Glenwood Springs (67mi)
- Grand Junction (30mi)
- Palisade (19mi)
- Parachute (26mi)
- Rifle (42mi)
Latest in Mesa
Colorado’s world class ski resorts feature a myriad of skiable acres and vertical drops, all waiting…
While Denver International Airport resides relatively close to the Rocky Mountains, you’re still well over an…