Clifton is a quaint community tucked between Grand Junction and Palisade and is considered part of the Grand Junction Metropolitan Statistical Area. Its proximity to outdoor recreation and a variety of beautiful local attractions make it an ideal spot to base your western slope adventures.
Situated in Mesa County at an elevation of 4,724′, Clifton was named for the iconic mesa cliffs close to town. Established in 1900, the Clifton Post Office is still in operation with a zip code of 81520. As of 2020, the census-designated place (CDP) had a population of 20,413.
Wineries – The wineries near Clifton are a must-visit destination for any wine lover, offering a delightful experience of award-winning vinos produced from locally grown grapes. Enjoy a tasting flight or maybe even a vineyard tour set against the backdrop of stunning mountain views.
James M. Cobb Colorado River State Park – South of town, this state park offers visitors a wide variety of recreational activities, such as fishing, boating, camping, and hiking. Cast a line for trout, set up your tent to sleep under the stars, or simply stroll along the rushing river.
- Palisade Basecamp RV Resort is the ultimate camping destination that offers a variety of accommodations such as cabins, RV sites, and even riverside tent camping. The 14-acre resort is nestled amidst fruit orchards and wine vineyards along the river right off I-70.
- With 43 campsites available at Colorado National Monument, visitors can choose between two campgrounds: Saddlehorn and the more primitive sites at Juniper. Saddlehorn can accommodate RVs, trailers, and tents, while Juniper is ideal for tent camping. Both campgrounds offer views of the surrounding red rock formations.
- RV Ranch at Grand Junction is an ideal place for campers with RVs or those who would prefer a no-frills cabin rental. There are a handful of KOA-style cabins that sleep 2-4 or opt for an RV spot with electrical hookups. The grounds also include a swimming pool, pavilion sitting area, and fire pits.
- Read about the camping near Palisade, Clifton and Grand Junction.
- Fishing in the Colorado and Gunnison Rivers is a popular activity for anglers, offering the opportunity to catch trout, bass, and other species. With its scenic beauty and abundant fishing opportunities, the area is a must-visit destination for any angler visiting the region.
- Fishing in the James M. Cobb Colorado River State Park offers the chance to catch rainbow and brown trout, smallmouth bass, and channel catfish. The river is surrounded by natural beauty, and there are plenty of boat launches and camping areas as well.
- Palisade Rim trailhead in Colorado National Monument is a challenging 4.2-mile hike with stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Mt. Garfield trail is a strenuous 3.8-mile that offers breathtaking views of the Colorado River Valley and the Book Cliffs. The trail features a steep incline and rocky terrain, which requires careful footing and endurance.
- In addition to the Palisade Rim trail, the Colorado National Monument is home to a variety of scenic hiking trails that offer views of red rock canyons, rock formations, and wildlife. The trails range in difficulty from easy nature walks to challenging hikes, making it a popular destination for hikers of all levels.
- Read about more hiking trails around Clifton and Grand Junction.
This section contains referral links. If you click through and take action, we may receive a commission, at no additional cost to you.
Best Western Grande River Inn & Suites – A cozy hotel offering spacious rooms and excellent amenities such as an indoor pool, a fitness center, and free WiFi. The hotel’s location also provides easy access to nearby attractions.
Dancing Moon Bed & Breakfast – A delightful rural retreat on a 9-acre farmland with four period-themed rooms featuring original antique furniture and art. Enjoy unique home-cooked breakfasts, afternoon treats, and nearby activities such as wine tours, festivals, and dining recommendations.
Grand Junction Palomino Inn – Enjoy an affordable stay right in town at this locally owned motel, complete with free breakfast and WiFi for all guests. Guests rave about how tidy the rooms are.
Read about the best hotels in Grand Junction.
Guerilla Burrito – This newly opened food truck has become an instant hit in town for its delicious burritos and quick service. The perfect spot to pick up breakfast or lunch.
Chin Chin – Classic Chinese eatery with all the staple dishes and platters. It’s conveniently located downtown and offers both dine-in and take-out.
Triple Tree Tavern – The perfect little hometown dive serving up bar fare, beer on tap, and plenty of cocktails. They also host a variety of weekly events like karaoke and bingo.
Activities near Clifton
- Imondi Wake Zone (20mi)
- Book Cliffs
- Colorado National Monument (11mi)
- Grand Mesa National Forest
- Little Book Cliffs Wild Horse Range
- McInnis Canyons (41mi)
- Uncompahgre National Forest
- Cedaredge (53mi)
- Collbran (35mi)
- De Beque (35mi)
- Delta (38mi)
- Fruita (18mi)
- Grand Junction (5mi)
- Hotchkiss (59mi)
- Loma (24mi)
- Mesa (25mi)
- Montrose (59mi)
- Olathe (40mi)
- Orchard City (48mi)
- Palisade (5mi)
- Parachute (47mi)
- Rifle (64mi)