Rifle is western town that caters to the outdoorsman. The area around Rifle is especially popular for hunting. Downtown is fairly big, with a few blocks of shops and restaurants.
The town motto is “Embracing our past, shaking hands with our future.” Rifle is located at 5,348 feet in elevation in the middle of Garfield County. It was founded in 1882 and incorporated on August 18th, 1905.
State Parks – Three local parks, Rifle Gap, Rifle Falls and Harvey Gap all our within a short distance from downtown. The first two offer campgrounds and Harvey Gap is centered around the gorgeous Grass Valley Reservoir.
Read about the top things to do near Rifle.
- Rifle Falls and Rifle Gap state parks have well maintained campgrounds.
- Read about the camping near Rifle, Glenwood Springs and Carbondale.
- Colorado River has excellent trout fishing and runs past Rifle.
- Rifle Pond is also open to fishing.
- Rifle Gap and Harvey Gap state parks provide large reservoirs for fishing.
Hotels and lodging:
- Read about the best hotels in Rifle.
Activities near Rifle
- Glenwood Hot Springs Pool (27mi)
- Iron Mountain Hot Spring (27mi)
- South Canyon Hot Springs (22mi)
- Yampah Vapor Caves (27mi)
- Powderhorn Mountain Resort (50mi)
- Carbondale (40mi)
- Craig (89mi)
- De Beque (30mi)
- Dotsero (45mi)
- Eagle (58mi)
- Glenwood Springs (27mi)
- Grand Junction (60mi)
- Gypsum (51mi)
- Meeker (41mi)
- New Castle (14mi)
- Palisade (49mi)
- Parachute (16mi)
- Silt (7mi)
Latest in Rifle
Rifle is a beautiful town resting on Colorado’s Western Slope, between Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction.…
Situated only 30 minutes west of Glenwood Springs, Rifle is another Garfield County town that’s known…