Eagle is a laid-back area with a non-resort town vibe and a world-class wilderness backyard. The town is situated just west of Avon on I-70 roughly two hours from Denver, and close to Vail and Beaver Creek ski resorts.
Eagle’s motto is “Classic Colorado”, which is evident in its historic downtown combined with the beautiful outdoor recreation. It resides at 6,601 feet of elevation in Eagle County. The town was incorporated on April 5, 1905, and has since grown to 7,196 people as of 2020.
Sylvan Lake State Park – Features biking, camping, fishing, hiking, and more recreation in a beautiful, secluded location. Centered around Sylvan Lake, this wonderful state park sits about 30 minutes south of Eagle deep into the mountain forest.
Eagle River – This tributary to the Colorado River passes through town offering great fishing and rafting. Eagle River rafting trips depart from May to July and offer a great mix of Class II, III, and IV rapids. There are both adrenaline-filled whitewater trips and a simple, relaxed float that is perfect for families.
Read about the top things to do in Eagle.
Eagle is also filled with amazing water-inspired activities from kayaking, fishing, rafting, and more. Everyone in the family can pick a new activity for every visit.
- Sylvan Lake State Park has about 50 campsites suitable for tents and RVs. National forest land surrounds Sylvan Lake and offers 2 campgrounds.
- Fulford Cave Campground is located 18 miles south of Eagle, nearly an hour’s drive on dirt roads. It’s open from May/June to October, weather dependent and first-come, first-serve.
- Read about the camping near Vail, Avon, and Eagle.
- Good trout fishing is found in the Eagle River which runs through town.
- Sylvan Lake also has outstanding cold water fishing for trout, panfish, and bass.
- Hernage Gulch Trail is great for secluded trekking along Hernage Creek. This is the only hike on Eagle Ranch that’s not accessible for mountain bikes.
- Mount Thomas Trail has debatably the best view of Eagle Town. It goes along the Red Table Mountain ridge line.
- There is an uphill trail to Nolan Lake with amazing views and a challenging climb.
- For a family-friendly trail that’s enveloped by nature, check out the Yeoman Discover Trail. A more accessible trail for children and casual visitors.
- Enjoy this section of the Colorado River. This location is popular for tourists and locals alike. It is a good spot for beginner and intermediate kayakers.
- The nearby stretch of the Eagle River is a good challenge for kayakers. There are different levels of rocky areas that will require technical maneuvers to pass along the stream. The river has extraordinary views of the Red Canyon as well.
Comfort Inn Vail Valley – With White River National Forest in its backyard, this Comfort Inn is the perfect home base for your outdoor activities. The air conditioned rooms allow ample natural light and the decor is modern and earthy.
Best Western Plus Eagle Lodge & Suites – This hotel has spacious rooms, large TVs, and the perfect proximity to Vail and Beaver Creek without the large crowds.
Eagle River Lodge – A no-frills, affordable accommodation with an Old West ambience and complimentary breakfast.
Read about the best hotels in Eagle.
Eagle has a Colorado-made brewery that you can tour while in town. These craft beers have been known all over the country for their locally sourced ingredients. Enjoy a drink (or two) while interacting with live bands and the lively Eagle community.
7 Hermits Brewing Company – Special live showing during football season. Open from Mondays to Saturdays from 4 p.m. onwards, you can check out their hand-crafted beers partnered with amazing paninis and pizza.
The Assembly – Globally-inspired menu with beautiful interior design and friendly service.
Roam – Quaint eatery off of I-70 with unique, delicious dishes and freshly made dessert options.
Apr – Easter Extravaganza – Fill up on local food trucks before grabbing your Easter basket and searching for some eggs in the community park.
May – Bikes & BBQ Poker Ride – This family friendly bike ride follows a pre-determined route through town to collect playing cards. At the end of the trail, riders will compete to see who has the best poker hand. Moe’s BBQ will also be available.
Jun – Block Party – Multiple stages with live music, food vendors, and craft set-ups will be lined up to celebrate the start of summer.
Jun – Eagle Flight Days – Join your neighbors on Friday night for a silent disco and outdoor movie. Saturday events include a color run, live music, and a parade!
Jul – 4th July Kids Parade – Calling all bikes, trikes, scooters, unicycles, and any other pedal-powered vehicles to participate in a parade to celebrate the summer holiday.
Jul – Adventure Van Expo – Come out for this “roof to wheels” show, with demonstrations and exhibitions of adventure vans.
Activities near Eagle
Cross Country Skiing:
- Glenwood Hot Springs Pool (32mi)
- Radium Warm Springs (38mi)
- South Canyon Hot Springs (37mi)
- Yampah Vapor Caves(32mi)
- Vail Tubing Hill (29mi)
- Sylvan Lake State Park (11mi)
- Avon (20mi)
- Beaver Creek (22mi)
- Dotsero (13mi)
- Eagle-Vail (31mi)
- Edwards (16mi)
- Glenwood Springs (31mi)
- Gypsum (7mi)
- Minturn (27mi)
- Red Cliff (35mi)
- Rifle (58mi)
- Vail (29mi)
- Wolcott (9mi)
Latest in Eagle
View more Eagle articles