Hotchkiss is a quiet mountain town with plenty of restaurants, shopping and accommodations. It lies at the intersection of Colorado 92 and 133, about thirty miles east of Delta.
The town motto is reflected in the locals: “Friendliest Town Around”. Hotchkiss is situated at 5,331 feet of elevation in Delta County. The 2010 census said 944 people resided in town, which was incorporated on March 14th, 1901.
Great Outdoors – Because of its convenient location, outstanding recreation and sightseeing can be found in every direction. To the north is Paonia State Park and further north is Carbondale and Glenwood Springs. Crested Butte is a two hour drive in the summer.
- Both Crawford and Paonia state parks have campgrounds
- North Rim of Black Canyon of the Gunnison has 13 campsites in a high mountain forest.
- Read about the camping near Paonia, Hotchkiss and Crawford.
- Crawford Reservoir is open to fishing and boating.
- Muddy Creek runs to the north on Highway 92. It also runs through Paonia State Park.
- The northern entrance to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is south near Crawford.
- Trails in the Grand Mesa National Forest can be accessed to the north on Highway 133, as well as west on CO 92, and then north on Highway 65.
Hotels and lodging:
- Evening Grace Estate – Stay overnight at this cozy winery and B&B. It has two basement walk out rooms, complete with a pool table. Two night stay required.
- Leroux Creek Inn – This winery serves up premiere wine tastings and a unique bed and breakfast at a winery. The wine and stories will flow at this special Hotchkiss accommodation.
May – Hotchkiss Sheep Camp Stock Dog Trials – The town celebrates their sheep ranching tradition annually on Mother’s Day Weekend in mid May.
Aug – Delta County Fair & Rodeo – Longstanding western festival celebrated annually since 1897, held in early August.
Aug – Farm to Fiddle Summer Festival – The second weekend of August boasts fresh food, local wine, livestock and live music.
Activities near Hotchkiss
- Penny Hot Springs (53mi)
Made in Colorado:
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (20mi)
- Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area (20mi)
- Gunnison National Forest