Established in 1870, Florissant is a quiet town with a few shops and restaurants. It’s situated on Highway 24, between Lake George and Divide. There is plenty to do in the surrounding area, whether you head to the Cripple Creek casinos or out for a peaceful drive in Eleven Mile Canyon.
The term Florissant stems from the French verb “fleurir”, meaning to flourish or to flower. It was named after Florissant, Missouri. Located in western Teller County, the elevation of Florissant is 8,192 feet. The town of 172 people is probably most known for its national fossil bed monument, which lies just south of town.
Florissant Fossil Beds – Discover fossils and petrified redwoods at this national monument located minutes south of downtown. It’s accessible year-round, and the perfect place for a hike any time of year. There is a minimal fee to visit.
Gold Belt Tour – This national scenic byway begins south of town and loops around Cañon City and Cripple Creek. It’s a remarkable road and best saved for summer when all routes are open.
- Continue west on US-24 and you’ll find Travel Port, Riverside, and Blue Mountain Campgrounds all just before Lake George.
- Read about the camping near Lake George and Eleven Mile Reservoir.
- Read about the camping near Divide, Cripple Creek and Victor.
- Read about camping near Woodland Park and around Rampart Reservoir.
Fishing – Eleven Mile Canyon is an extremely popular spot in town for fly fishing, so get there early to stake your spot.
- Eleven Mile Canyon is in the northern part of town and has a beautiful dirt road along a river. There are multiple pull-offs to explore and a short hike at the end of the road.
- Womens Trail 375 is northeast of Florissant and is a great area to get some fresh air. It is a loop that totals just over 5 miles with some rocky terrain to navigate.
OHV – Follow Wildhorn Road up to its intersection with US-51 to find the Phantom Creek trailhead. It’s a popular 13.1-mile loop for OHV and there are also spots to RV camp.
Although there are no hotels in Florissant, Cripple Creek and Woodland Park are within a 30 minute drive to town and have several options.
Iron Tree Restaurant & Funky Town Brewery – A cozy atmosphere, welcoming staff, and delicious food make this brewpub a great stop. They make most of their sauces, breads, beers, and desserts in-house so it’s perfect if you’re craving a home-cooked meal.
Costello Coffee House – For your morning pick-me-up, stop by this coffee shop for a variety of drinks and light fare.
Thunderbird Inn – The local spot to grab a beer and some classic bar food.
Activities near Florissant
- Florissant Community Park
- Antero Reservoir (37mi)
- Florissant Fossil Beds (7mi)
- Pike National Forest
- Pikes Peak Historical Society Museum
- Eleven Mile State Park (10mi)
- Mueller State Park (16mi)
- Spinney Mountain State Park (20mi)
- Cascade (28mi)
- Chipita Park (26mi)
- Colorado Springs (38mi)
- Cripple Creek (22mi)
- Crystola (23mi)
- Deckers (42mi)
- Divide (12mi)
- Fairplay (44mi)
- Green Mountain Falls (24mi)
- Guffey (25mi)
- Hartsel (26mi)
- Florissant (4mi)
- Manitou Springs (33mi)
- Victor (27mi)
- Woodland Park (19mi)
Latest in Florissant
Discovering Dinosaurs in Colorado
Historically, most people envision Colorado as the Wild West with tales of cowboys, gunslingers, outlaws, and…
Camping near Lake George, Tarryall and Eleven Mile Canyon Reservoir
Nestled at the southeastern gateway to South Park, Lake George lies in close vicinity to the…
Camping near Lake George, Tarryall and Eleven Mile Canyon ReservoirRead More