Due to population growth in Colorado, Woodland Park is now more of a suburb of Colorado Springs than the tourist town it once was. Pikes Peak hovers in the distance, visible from nearly anywhere in town. It’s located just west of the Springs on Highway 24.
The town resides at 8,465 feet in Teller County. Its motto is “The city above the clouds.” The population was estimated to be around 8,300 people in 2020.
Pikes Peak – This mammoth peak can be seen from town and offers sightseeing and recreation. Head to the top via Pikes Peak Highway or by train via the Cog Railway, departing from Manitou Springs. Some people even hike this massive 14,110 foot peak.
Rampart Reservoir – Managed by the Pike National Forest, the Rampart Reservoir Recreation Area provides year round adventure only ten miles east of town. Fishing is excellent, with ice fishing common during the winter. You can also hike and camp by the lake.
- Nearby Mueller State Park in Divide offers over a hundred campsites in an alpine forest.
- There are several campgrounds around Woodland Park. Head north on Highway 67 toward Deckers and you’ll pass a few, not too far from Woodland Park.
- Read about camping near Woodland Park and around Rampart Reservoir.
- There is hiking of all levels to be found by Pikes Peak.
- Mueller features 55 miles of trails.
- Another stunning place to hike is the Florissant Fossil Beds.
Hotels and lodging:
- Read about the best hotels in Woodland Park.
- Read about the cabins to rent near Colorado Springs and Woodland Park.
There are a lot of choices for grabbing a bite in town. Established in 1962, the Swiss Chalet Restaurant serves fine steak and seafood in an Alps-like setting. For a morning donut and coffee head to The Donut Mill on the main drag of Highway 24 downtown.
Bar-wise you have a few choices. The Historic Ute Inn is a locals’ saloon with a full lunch and dinner menu. For tasty micro brew and plenty of outdoor seating head to BierWerks Brewery. Crystola Roadhouse is a biker bar on Highway 24, with burgers, beer and live music.
Restaurants and bars:
- Read about best restaurants in Woodland Park.
Activities in Woodland Park
- Cripple Creek (25mi)
- Dinosaur Resource Center
- Manitou Cliff Dwellings (13mi)
- Pikes Peak Museum & Ute Pass History Park
- Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center
- Garden Of The Gods (20mi)
- Pikes Peak Cog (13mi)
- Pikes Peak Highway (12mi)
- Cascade (8mi)
- Colorado Springs (16mi)
- Cripple Creek (25mi)
- Divide (7mi)
- Green Mountain Falls (5mi)
- Manitou Springs (13mi)
- Victor (27mi)
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (21mi)
Latest in Woodland Park
Resting in the shadows of Pikes Peak, the Southern Rockies most popular mountain peak, Colorado Springs…
With all of the major tourist attractions around Colorado Springs, it’s probably wise spending a night…
[Walking along the Animas River in Durango] Colorado’s rising popularity and continued growth bring in new…