Fairplay’s convenient location makes it a popular stopping point for those exploring the Central Rockies. It’s most known for housing South Park City, an Old West museum town, and the TV show based off the same name.
The town lies at the junction of U.S. 285 and Highway 9, about an hour and a half from Denver. Heading north on State Highway 9, brings you to Breckenridge and heading south on Highway 9 takes you to Hartsel in 20 minutes. If you continue southwest on U.S. 285 you’ll end up by Buena Vista in under 45 minutes.
South Park City – A restored 19th century mining camp and museum. There are some original buildings and others were imported from South Park, Colorado, a 900 square mile basin in the Rockies. You can visit the museum year round.
While Fairplay, does house a ghost town museum called South Park City, it’s not actually the town of South Park. The TV show town is named for South Park, Colorado, a huge basin that encompasses Fairplay, Alma, Como, Jefferson, Tarryall, Hartsel, Guffey and Lake George.
Fairplay Beach – Hidden below Fairplay’s historic Front Street, Fairplay Beach is centered around a beautiful high elevation pond. It’s fed by the Middle Fork of the South Platte River, offering opportunities for hiking, fishing, picnicking and sightseeing.
- Read about the camping near Fairplay and South Park.
- The Middle Fork of the South Platte River runs by town, so fishing is close by. There are also a slew of terrific reservoirs spread around the South Park Basin. These include Tarryall Reservoir, Jefferson Reservoir,
Hotels and lodging:
- Hand Hotel Bed & Breakfast – Stay in this cozy, but supposedly haunted bed and breakfast with 11 rooms. It overlooks the South Platte River in downtown Fairplay.
- Read about the best hotels by Fairplay.
Activities near Fairplay
- Breckenridge Alpine Slide (22mi)
- Antero Reservoir (23mi)
- Buffalo Peaks Wilderness
- Jefferson Lake Recreation Area (23mi)
- Lost Creek Wilderness
- Pike National Forest
- San Isabel National Forest
- South Platte River
- White River National Forest
- Antero Junction (21mi)
- Breckenridge Ski Resort (23mi)
- Alma (5mi)
- Bailey (39mi)
- Breckenridge (22mi)
- Buena Vista (37mi)
- Como (10mi)
- Frisco (31mi)
- Grant (28mi)
- Guffey (45mi)
- Hartsel (18mi)
- Jefferson (16mi)
- Lake George (44mi)