Buena Vista is a fun mountain town, centrally located in the Rocky Mountains. It’s close enough to the Front Range for an easy weekend trip, and a convenient base for nearby activities.
Things to do in Buena Vista
Whitewater rafting and hot springs are two of the biggest. Highlighting the magnificent landscape are the 14,000-foot Collegiate Peaks right outside town. There are a good variety of restaurants in town too.
Eddyline Restaurant & Brewery offers wood-fired cuisine and local craft beer, a short drive from downtown. K’s Dairy Delite is a locals’ favorite for Shakes and burgers, this local favorite, situated on Highway 24 in town. Pizza Works is another great pizza parlor.
Hot Springs – Since the 19th century, those who wanted to improve their health through the healing power of hot springs have headed to this Colorado town. Local hot springs were used as a regular location for family getaways as early as the 1880’s. Cottonwood and Mount Princeton are the two nearby.
- San Isabel National Forest is located around Buena Vista. Free car camping exists 15 miles north of town on Highway 24. Take a left at Clear Creek Reservoir on County Road 390. There is a national forest campground just after the Clear Creek Reservoir. Dispersed camping exists up the county road. Watch for pull-over spots for your car and you can set up anywhere. There is some private property during the first few miles of road. 12 miles down County Road 390 is the ghost town of Winfield. The county road is suitable for most cars, but it is bumpy from heavy truck traffic.
- Great trout fishing can be found in the Arkansas River which runs past town.
- Crystal Reservoir is a fifteen minute drive north of town on Highway 24.
Near Buena Vista
- Antero Reservoir (27mi)
- Browns Canyon National Monument
- Clear Creek Reservoir (14mi)
- Pike National Forest
- San Isabel National Forest
- Breckenridge (60mi)
- Fairplay (37mi)
- Johnson Village (3mi)
- Leadville (34mi)
- Nathrop (8mi)
- Poncha Springs (24mi)
- Salida (24mi)
- Agnes Vaille Falls (16mi)
Featured Buena Vista blog
4 Ghost Towns of Clear Creek Canyon – Clear Creek Canyon is full of ruins from Colorado’s early mining days. There are four remaining ghost towns in the canyon, which lies just west of Clear Creek Reservoir from Highway 24. Clear Creek runs the length…
Arkansas River Rafting in Browns Canyon – If you’re looking for summer adventure, head to the Arkansas River. It’s one of the most exciting landscapes to raft in Colorado, with numerous sections ranging in class and ability. Browns Canyon, which recently…
Whitewater Raft 4 Sections of Arkansas River – Whitewater rafting in Colorado has never been more popular or more exciting. And you can do it nearly anywhere in the Rocky Mountains! Due to its close proximity to the Front Range, the Arkansas River…
Autumn Drive Over Cottonwood Pass –
Cottonwood Pass is a high mountain route over the Continental Divide. It’s an easy drive beginning in either Buena Vista or Almont. From Buena Vista the road quickly climbs to its summit of 12,126 feet. It then turns to dirt…