Eldorado Springs is an unincorporated foothills community just 15 minutes south of Boulder, Colorado. The census-designated place (CDP) is part of the Boulder, CO Metropolitan Statistical Area and has abundant climbing and outdoor recreation opportunities.
The town is located at 5,682 feet of elevation in Boulder County. In 2020 Eldorado Springs had a population of 654. There isn’t much commerce in the little town, but its proximity to Boulder and many state parks make it a great place to visit.
Eldorado Canyon – Eldorado Springs is most well known for the local Eldorado Canyon State Park. It houses a myriad of world-class rock climbing routes. This day-use only state park also has fishing and terrific hiking trails.
Eldorado Springs Pool – In the early 1900s Eldorado Springs was a resort town, home to the Big Radium Pool. It boasted itself as the biggest swimming pool in the country at the time. Along with a few smaller pools, it was referred to as the “Coney island of the West”.
Today this natural mineral water filled pool is great for cooling down on hot summer days. The same “Eldorado Springs” company also produces one of the most iconic gallon jugs of water sold around the state.
Camping – Golden Gate Canyon and St. Vrain State Parks offer camping within about 30 miles of town. Together they have over 100 maintained campsites as well as plenty of backcountry spots to set up for the night.
- Fly fishing is abundant in Eldorado Canyon, with peak season being late July to October. There are several types of fish, varying in size.
- South Boulder Creek has some of the best fly-fishing due to low water pressure and a large fish population.
- Rattlesnake Gulch is a popular trail within Eldorado Canyon, featuring views of the canyon and plains of the park.
- Right outside of town you’ll find the Fowler Trailhead. This 4 mile out and back trail winds through Boulder Open Space before connecting to Rattlesnake Gulch.
- Doudy Draw is a great option for families, with a mostly flat creekside hike and plenty of nature to explore.
While Eldorado Springs does not have any accommodations in town, head 15 minutes up CO-93 and check out the best hotels in Boulder.
Activities near Eldorado Springs
- Boulder (8mi)
- Broomfield (12mi)
- Denver (27mi)
- Superior (7mi)
Latest in Eldorado Springs
8 Wonderful Waterfalls Hikes by Denver
If you don’t have the time to drive deep into the mountains to see an amazing…