Wondervu is a tiny community tucked away in Coal Creek Canyon. It’s situated on Highway 72, along the drive from Golden to Nederland. The town is pretty much composed of a cafe, fire station, and disc golf course.
Although quaint, it is beautifully surrounded by nature and only a short drive to plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities. All businesses in the town have a Golden mailing address. Wondervu sits at an elevation of 8,632′ and is located within both Boulder and Gilpin counties.
- Winiger Ridge camping area has a handful of free camping spots on the shores of Gross Reservoir. There are 26 designated spots that are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Golden Gate State Park has two developed campgrounds only about 30 minutes from Wondervu. Reverends Ridge is the larger of the two with 97 campsites and room for RVs, trailers, and tents. Aspen Meadows has 35 primitive, tent-only sites. All guests have access to seasonal shower and laundry facilities.
Disc Golf – Wondervu Disc Golf Course has 22 disc golf holes on the side and the top of a local mountain. Enjoy great views while you make your way along the course with friends.
- Gross Reservoir has 440 surface acres of water that can be fished from shore or by boat. The most commonly found fish here include lake and rainbow trout, tiger muskie, kokanee salmon, and splake.
- South Boulder Creek‘s main draw for fishermen is brown trout, but there are also rainbow, brook, and cutthroat.
- Walker Ranch Loop trailhead is a 7.2-mile loop with 1,600 feet of elevation gain, so it’s definitely a challenge. The trail meanders through Walker Ranch Park and into Eldorado Canyon with nice views throughout. You can also access the trail via the Crescent Meadows trailhead, a short drive south.
- Forsythe Canyon trailhead leads you to a 3.2-mile out-and-back trail that’s rated as easy with low elevation gain. The route follows a small creek within the canyon before you encounter a beautiful waterfall, and right past that is Gross Reservoir. This is the perfect spot to bring a picnic on a sunny day and maybe even cast a line to fish.
Read about the cabins to rent near Boulder, Lyons and Nederland.
Wondervu Cafe – A quaint little Mexican eatery with a fantastic outdoor patio and delicious food. In addition to traditional Mexican fare, they also serve homemade pies and other baked goods to round out your meal.
Canyon Tavern – This cozy tavern has a long list of beer, wine, and cocktails, so if you’re in the mood for a happy hour this is the spot for you. Their menu has a variety of classic American dishes like burgers, sandwiches, and fried sides.
Activities near Wondervu
- Eldora Mountain Resort (14mi)
- Black Hawk (19mi)
- Central City (20mi)
- Denver (34mi)
- Golden (19mi)
- Nederland (10mi)
- Rollinsville (10mi)