Lyons is a colorful foothills town located north of Boulder. West Main Street is lined with inviting shops and restaurants. The recreation is endless in Lyons’ backyard.
Situated at the base of the northern Colorado Rockies, Lyons is full of outdoorsy recreation and dramatic settings. Its nickname is the “Double Gateway to the Rockies.” It sits at an elevation of 5,371 feet in Boulder County. The town was established by Edward S. Lyon in 1880 and incorporated on April 10, 1891.
Oskar Blues Brewery – Awesome microbrewery and restaurant on the corner of downtown. Brewery tours are offered daily throughout the year.
Saint Vrain Creeks – Both the North and South Saint Vrain Creek run through Lyons. Fishing is great in parts of each, just follow west of town into the national forest. During the early summer, the North Saint Vrain Creek makes for a wonderful float, tubing North Saint Vrain Creek.
- Read about the top things to do near Lyons.
- Boyd Lake and Saint Vrain state parks offer year-round campgrounds.
- Dispersed camping can be found west of town in the Roosevelt N.F.
- Read about the camping near Lyons and Allenspark.
- There are numerous lakes to the east of town.
- Fishing in either the North or South Saint Vrain Creek is outstanding Follow either river west into the Roosevelt National Forest. For the North Creek, head northwest on Highway 36 following the river, until you reach Highway 80, which continues to follow the river. For the South Creek, just follow Highway 7 southwest of town.
Hotels and lodging:
- Read about the best hotels in Lyons.
- Read about the cabins to rent near Boulder, Lyons, and Nederland.
Jul – RockyGrass Festival – One of the premier bluegrass festivals in the country, held over three days in late July.
Aug – Rocky Mountain Folks Festival – Three-day folk music festival known as the “summit on the song”, with a capacity of 4,000 attendees, held in mid-August.
Sep – Burning Can Festival – Previously held in June (but postponed due to COVID-19 in 2020), two early September days dedicated to outdoor recreation, activities like climbing, running, and kayaking.
Activities near Lyons
- Avery Brewing (17mi)
- Boulder Beer (17mi)
- Budweiser Brewery (27mi)
- Coors Brewery (35mi)
- New Belgium (27mi)
- Odell Brewery (27mi)
- Oskar Blues Brewery
- Upslope Brewing (17mi)
- McCall Lake Nature Area (4mi)
- Eldora Mountain Resort (36mi)
- Allenspark (18mi)
- Boulder (17mi)
- Estes Park (20mi)
- Fort Collins (27mi)
- Golden (35mi)
- Longmont (12mi)
- Loveland (24mi)
- Nederland (31mi)
Latest in Lyons
The Roosevelt National Forest is loaded with camping around Allenspark, CO, just west of Lyons. Everything…
View more Lyons articles