Roosevelt National Forest encompasses more than 800,000 acres in north-central Colorado. It’s located west of Fort Collins, following Highway 14 and the Cache La Poudre River.
The Roosevelt National Forest was set aside during Theodore Roosevelt’s presidency as part of the Medicine Bow Forest Reserve. It was originally named the Colorado National Forest in 1910, but the 815,000-acre parcel was renamed in 1932 in honor of Roosevelt, our greatest national conservation president.
Activities: Biking, Boating, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Hunting, Picnicking, OHV, Scenic Drives, Cross Country Skiing, Snowmobiling, Snowshoeing
Camping – With great proximity to both Denver and Colorado Springs, camping in Pike National Forest is convenient and exceptional. There are a lot of USFS Pike Campgrounds to choose from.
- Read about the camping near Estes Park and RMNP.
- Read about the camping near Loveland and Fort Collins.
- Read about the camping near Walden and Gould, around North Park.
- Read about the camping near Red Feather Lakes and Cache La Poudre River.
Cabins – These cabins are for rent year-round. They range in style and amenities, from simple camper cabins to modern and upscale.
- Read about the cabins to rent near Boulder, Lyons, and Nederland.
- Read about the cabins to rent near Fort Collins, Red Feather Lakes, and Estes Park.
Nearby Activities: Park County, located within the South Park basin, is an outdoorsman’s paradise, with fishing and hunting being prime in this part of Colorado. Blue ribbon fly-fishing and trophy elk hunting are reasons to visit the Pike National Forest each season. Antero Reservoir is a great place for boating and fishing, located just west of Hartsel. You can camp there too.
Spinney Mountain & Eleven Mile are two other popular places to boat and fish in the area, with access to the infamous ‘Dream Stream’, part of the South Platte River. Places like Cripple Creek and Woodland Park make great bases for exploring the nearby Colorado wilderness.
Map: Roosevelt (PNG)
Motor Vehicle Use Maps:
- Boulder (PDF) – Boulder, Nederland
- Canyon Lakes – North (PDF) – Red Feather Lakes
- Canyon Lakes – South (PDF) – Fort Collins, Loveland
- Canyon Lakes – Errata 1 (PDF) – Walden
- Canyon Lakes – Errata 2 (PDF) – Fort Collins
Roosevelt Campgrounds: Reservations
Latest in Roosevelt National Forest
The Roosevelt National Forest is loaded with camping around Allenspark, CO, just west of Lyons. Everything…