Almont, CO lies at at the confluence of the East and Taylor rivers, where they form the Gunnison River going southwest. There’s a short business section, with a couple restaurants, four-season resorts and a general store.
Originally called “Fishers” after the first settler, the name was changed to Almont in 1881, after the leading racehorse of the era.
Taylor River – The Taylor River out near Gunnison features a number of exciting trips. Plan a half day or multi day whitewater rafting trip on the Taylor River. Most commercial guides offer morning and afternoon floats.
There are three main sections, from mild ripples to intense whitewater: Upper Taylor, Middle Taylor and Lower Taylor. All of them are below the dam of the Taylor Park Reservoir. Most of it passes through the Gunnison National Forest. The East and Taylor River form the headwaters to the Gunnison River in Almont.
Rafting trips on the Taylor River:
- Upper Taylor – Most rafted section with plenty of class III rapids.
- Lower Taylor – Mild float with mostly class II waters.
- Lake Fork – Early trip that runs ’til June, Blue Mesa Reservoir south to Lake City.
Camping – There is an abundance of campsites around Almont, both private and those in the Gunnison National Forest. The Taylor Park Reservoir northeast of town is especially popular for campers and off-highway driving.
- Read about camping near Almont and Taylor Park Reservoir.
Fishing – The Gunnison River flows southwest from town, the East River north and the Taylor River northeast. You can also fish at the Taylor Park Reservoir 20 miles east of town.
- Read about the lakes and rivers to fish near Gunnison, Almont and Crested Butte.
Activities near Almont
- Black Canyon of Gunnison National Park (72mi)
- Curecanti National Recreation Area (15mi)
- East Ridge
- Fossil Ridge Wilderness
- Gunnison National Forest
- Taylor Park Reservoir (26mi)
- Taylor River
- Waunita Hot Springs Ranch (36mi)
River Tubing & Kayaking:
- Almont (23mi)
- Cimarron (54mi)
- Crested Butte (17mi)
- Gunnison (10mi)
- Lake City (64mi)
- Pitkin (27mi)
- Tincup (30mi)
Latest in Almont
Nestled in the Gunnison Valley, flanked by the Gunnison National Forest, the West Elk Mountains, and…
View more Almont articles